Skip to main content

Church history -- Indiana

Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 93 Collections and/or Records:

Hope, Indiana collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: S2161
Scope and Contents This collection contains several items related to Hope, Indiana and the Moravian Church, including the historical sketches, "Settlement at Hope Followed Failure of Moravian Mission" (circa 1968) and "The Moravian Cemetery (Hope, Indiana)" by George E. Utterback (1968). A basic map is included with the sketches and has symbols to mark places in the town such as schools, churches, playgrounds, and the cemetery. Also part of the collection is a copy of "Welcome to Hope, Hawcreek Township,...
Dates: circa 1836-1905; circa 1960

Indiana Christian Endeavor Union collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: S2240
Scope and Contents This collection contains various items related to the Indiana Christian Endeavor Union, including a scrapbook from the Fort Wayne Christian Endeavor Union with newspaper clippings and photographs (1928-1930); convention and banquet programs (1928-1941); newsletters and publications from the Indiana Christian Endeavor Union and local unions in the state (1923-1948); a 1943 mailing list; two undated copies of "Program Building for the Society," an address written by field secretary Betty Cooper;...
Dates: 1923-1948

Indiana Methodist Protestant Church histories

 Collection — Folder S2289
Identifier: S2289
Scope and Contents This collection contains various Indiana Methodist Protestant Church histories, including a May 10, 1883 letter written by A. H. Widney and sent to Rev. W. W. Lineberry in response to a request for information about the New Haven Circuit, the January 1885 minutes from the organizational meetings of the St. Joe Methodist Protestant Church of Dekalb County, an undated history of the Lincoln Methodist Protestant Church written by Effie McClanahan of Akron, Indiana that notes the year of...
Dates: 1883-1930

Indianapolis Public Library Hilton U. Brown Branch oral history transcripts

Identifier: OH008
Scope and Contents This collection contains transcripts of oral history interviews with residents of Irvington, once a town in Marion County, and now a neighborhood in Indianapolis, Indiana, ranging from 1978 to 1987. The interviews were conducted primarily by Lois Leamon and others for Indianapolis Public Library, Hilton U. Brown Branch's Irvington Oral History Project. The transcripts include historical information about the town-cum-neighborhood and the people who lived there.
Dates: 1978-1987

Isaac F. Smith steward's book

 Collection — Folder S1205
Identifier: S1205
Scope and Contents This collection consists of one small, brown-covered, bound book with "Isaac Smith Stewards Book No. 3" handwritten on the cover. The entries of monetary donations begin October 1, 1888, and end in 1896. There are also three cards for the Whiteland Charge, dated 1896. The church denomination is not given. The cards state: "The Church has a right to know who do and who do not contribute to the cause of Christ." Also on the cards, J. W. Dashiell gave this "Word of Advice -- Begin the work of...
Dates: 1888-1896

John Mitchell, "Incidents of Methodism in Central Indiana" manuscript

 Collection — Folder S2288
Identifier: S2288
Scope and Contents This collection includes a handwritten copy of "Incidents of Methodism in Central Indiana," a manuscript compiled by John Mitchell of Colfax, Indiana circa 1882. The manuscript relates information regarding general conferences, annual conferences, and camp meetings of the Methodist Episcopal Church held from 1831 to 1882 and Mr. Mitchell occasionally offers his personal experiences and insights regarding ministers and the various church meetings.
Dates: circa 1882

Kendallville Circuit quarterly conference record book

 Collection — Folder S2281
Identifier: S2281
Scope and Contents This collection contains the quarterly meeting minutes from November 1858 to January 1874 of the Kendallville Circuit of the Wabash Conference (later North Indiana Conference) of the Methodist Protestant Church. The volume also includes the minutes of the quarterly meetings of the Lisbon Mission and Lisbon Circuit from November 1851 to August 1856 and the quarterly meeting minutes of the Auburn Circuit from September 1856 to August 1858. The collection also has a piece of paper with a note...
Dates: 1851-1883

Kirklin Methodist Church historical sketch

 Collection — Folder S2153
Identifier: S2153
Scope and Contents This collection consists of a copy of “A History of the Kirklin Methodist Church, 1937-1959,” a four-page, typewritten historical sketch copied and used during the October 9, 1960 homecoming celebration of the Kirklin, Indiana church. The church’s history is presented chronologically and includes information regarding previous pastors, church and parsonage renovations, church programs, and deaths of church members.
Dates: 1959-1960

Landess Christian Church minutes

 Collection — Folder S3063
Identifier: S3063
Scope and Contents The collection consists of photocopied business meeting minutes from the Landess Christian Church during May 15, 1939 to July 8, 1952.

The quarterly meetings included discussion and implementation of such matters as the periodic election of officers, regular secretary's and treasurer's reports, approval of purchases, selection and election of pastors and evangelists, and the recording of new members and dismissals.
Dates: 1939-1952

Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church collection

 Collection — Folder S2203
Identifier: S2203
Scope and Contents This collection contains the record book of the Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church of Franklin County, Indiana. Ranging from 1806 to 1830, the book's entries include the church rules, the meeting minutes, baptisms, names of members, and information about the construction of the new church in 1812. The collection also contains Letters of Dismission for John and Fanny Tyner from the Church of Christ on Little River (March 7, 1808), James Tyner from the Baptist Church of Christ on Little River...
Dates: 1806-1952