Skip to main content

Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church collection

 Collection — Folder: S2203
Identifier: S2203

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the record book of the Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church of Franklin County, Indiana. Ranging from 1806 to 1830, the book's entries include the church rules, the meeting minutes, baptisms, names of members, and information about the construction of the new church in 1812. The collection also contains Letters of Dismission for John and Fanny Tyner from the Church of Christ on Little River (March 7, 1808), James Tyner from the Baptist Church of Christ on Little River (March 7, 1808), and Nancy Deweese from the Baptist Church of Christ at Bullittsburg, Boone County, KY (March 7, 1818); the 1818 constitution and "Rules of Decorum" for the Baptist Church of Christ on Buck Run (KY); a July 27, 1819 indenture between Isaac and Martha Hastings and Louis Bishop and William Bunyard, trustees of the West Fork White Water Baptist Society, for land in Franklin County for the "consideration of the sum of one dollar"; and two copies of a September 11, 1952 letter sent to Miss Jane Campbell from Estella A. O'Byrne of the Franklin County Historical Society regarding Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church documents and photographs in the possession of Miss. Campbell.


  • 1806-1952

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

The Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church congregation was established near Brookville in Franklin County, Indiana in 1806 and was the first Baptist society in the county. William Tyner, the first moderator, his wife, Betsy, John Milholland, Conrad Salor, and a few other families were the initial members. In 1811, the congregation decided to build a two story brick building and held their first meeting in the new church on September 5, 1812. The church grew to 160 members by 1830, but then membership began to decline and following the Civil War the church building was no longer used as a house of worship. The Brookville Historical Society acquired the church in 1905 and completed its first restoration of the building in 1912. The property continues to be maintained by the Historical Society and the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.


Information found within collection.

Franklin County Historical Society. Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church, Franklin County, Indiana: Franklin County Historical Society, 1957.

National Park Service. "Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church." National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form. Accessed December 11, 2017.


0.05 Cubic Feet (2 folders)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from the Jane Florence Campbell Estate in 1967/07.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2017/12/11 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2017/12/11 by Laura Eliason.
Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.