Church history -- Indiana
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 93 Collections and/or Records:
Collection — Folder S1654
Scope and Contents This collection contains several items related to Clark County, Indiana, including a 1900 picture and short description written by James M. VanHook of the first Methodist church built in Indiana and once located near Charlestown; a copy of "Early Precipitation Records for Jeffersonville, Indiana," a report by Dennis O'Harrow dated August 3, 1936; an undated copy of "The Jeffersonville Orphan Home" written by Ben F. Taylor, a former resident of the home; and "The Murder of Indians in Clark...
Dates: 1900-1930s, undated
Collection — Folder S2483
Scope and Contents This collection includes two pages of text from Clayton Presbyterian Church in Clayton, Hendricks County, Indiana, in 1931, regarding the history and centennial celebration of the Clayton Presbyterian Church.
Collection — Folder S2210
Scope and Contents This collection contains a copy of “History of Clear Creek Christian Church,” a five-page, typewritten historical sketch written by Henry F. Dillman and dated December 4, 1908. Dillman’s history includes a list of the twenty charter members, describes the process and cost of constructing the first church building, and mentions the preachers and other notable members of the congregation. The church history was copied in February 1949 from a copy owned by Miss Mabel Dodd, the granddaughter of...
Collection — Folder S2072
Scope and Contents This collection includes photostats of a typewritten copy of "A History of the Church of Christ at Coburn's Corners." The 15-page history was written by Walter H. Coburn in 1937 presumably in honor of the church's centennial. The collection also includes a photostat copy of a May 6, 1970 typewritten note by Winifred Waters, the great-granddaughter of church founder Benjamin Alton, Sr. and donor of the collection.
Collection — Folder S2073
Scope and Contents This collection contains a typewritten copy of the original records of the College Hill Church of Christ once located in Pierce Township, Washington County, Indiana. The copy was created in January 1967 by Miss Lulie Davis, Secretary of the Washington County Historical Society, Inc. Ranging from 1869 to 1956, the copied documents include entries from the church's first and second record books; the October 3, 1871 deed between Michael and Lucina Brown and the church; annual meeting reports;...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents This collection consists of two copies of a manuscript written by Dr. Moehlman dated May 15, 1931 concerning the history of the Primitive Baptists in Indiana, beginning with the Whitewater Association in 1807 and notabley includes a d Numbers of churches and members are listed throughout the typed manuscript. Besides ministers, messengers are also listed with their "original churches."
Collection — Folder S2150
Scope and Contents This collection includes a copy of Stephen Hunt's essay "History of Methodism at Coatesville". Written circa 1890s-1910s, the essay gives a historical sketch of the early history of the Coatesville (Indiana) Methodist Church. He lists the names of some of the first members, mentions early pastors and class leaders, and church revivals. Dr. Hunt's original manuscript was copied by his daughter, Mary R. Hunt, in 1971 and typed by Mina Emily Seidler on April 6, 1971.
Dates: circa 1890s-1910s, 1971
Collection — Folder S2158
Scope and Contents This collection includes a copy of "History of the Hamilton Church," a four-page essay about the St. Joseph County, Indiana church written by Edwin Dunlavy around 1937. The collection also includes an additional page with two paragraphs with the headings "Some Facts about Hamilton Church, St. Joseph County" and "The New Carlisle Collegiate Institute." The two paragraphs are copies of exerpts from A History of St. Joseph County, a...
Dates: circa 1937
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents This collection contains several legal documents of Elias N. Shimer ranging from 1831 to 1844. The documents include Shimer's deed for the purchase of one and a half acres south of the Brookville Road from Joshua Stevens (December 24, 1831); his Marion County Justice of the Peace commission certificate signed by Governor Noah Noble (December 6, 1837); a deed between Edward White and Abraham Jones for eighty acres in Marion County (October 30, 1833), and the indenture transferring the eighty...
Collection — Folder S2429
Scope and Contents This collection includes a copy of "The History of Westminster Presbyterian Church Which Celebrated its 60th Anniversary February 22, 1948," a typewritten essay by Ella E. Frietzsche, a charter member of the Indianapolis, Indiana church. The first four pages of the history were originally written for the church's 50th anniversary in 1938 and Frietzsche added a fifth page to the essay with additional information for the congregation's 60th anniversary.