Scope and Contents
This collection includes a photocopy of a February 27, 1843 deed between Williamson and Mary Dunn and Morgan Patton for a parcel of land that was part of the southwest quarter of section 12 in township 3 north of range 9 east in Hanover Township, Jefferson County, Indiana. The collection also includes a photocopy of the plat of the southwest addition of the town of Hanover, laid out by the trustees of Hanover College, and signed and dated February 12, 1850 by Williamson Dunn.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Hanover is a small town in Jefferson County, Indiana and is located in the southeast part of the state along the Ohio River. In 1809, Williamson Dunn and his family came to Indiana and settled on land which later became part of the town of Hanover. First called Dunn's Settlement, the name of the community was later changed to Hanover following the establishment of a Presbyterian church in 1820. The church was named Hanover in honor of Hanover, New Hampshire, the hometown of the wife of the church's first pastor, Reverend Thomas Searle. Hanover College was a direct outgrowth of the church and was founded in 1827. Willliamson Dunn donated the land on which the college was originally built.
"Hanover in the Past." The Triangle (Hanover, IN), December 7, 1921. https://newspaperarchive.com.
John M. Gresham Company. Biographical and Historical Souvenir for the Counties of Clark, Crawford, Harrison, Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott and Washiongton, Indiana. Chicago: Chicago Printing Company, 1889.
Town of Hanover, Indiana. "History." Accessed July 18, 2022. https://townofhanover.net/history.
0.06 Cubic Feet (1 large oversize folder)
Language of Materials