Scope and Contents
This collection contains three account books for a foundry owned by Charles C. Anderson of Jeffersonville, IN. Each book is indexed and occasionally contains bills and receipts. The foundry worked with such clients as the Jefferson City Schools, Jefferson Gas Company, Louisville Rolling Mill, U.S. General Hospital and the Indiana State Prison.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Charles C. Anderson was born in Philadelphia on January 29, 1813, the son of Samuel and Rebecca (Crawford) Anderson. His father, in 1817, went west from Pennsylvania in a carriage to Pittsburgh. With some friends, he purchased a flat boat and floated down to Cincinnati. Mr. Anderson worked in a foundry owned by Mr. Greene, holding various positions. Charles and his mother, a Quaker, came west in 1820. His father, a native of Trenton, New Jersey, died in 1834. Charles C. Anderson learned the foundry trade in Cincinnati with Robert C. Green. In 1832, he moved to Jeffersonville with Mr. Green. About 1840, Anderson started a small machine shop above the Howard shipyard. Later, in 1844, he formed a partnership with Hamilton Robinson, Richard Goss, and James Kiegwin. He later moved the shop to Watt Street, which burned down in 1860. Friends aided him in the rebuilding of the Jefferson Foundry, which was also commonly known as Anderson’s.
In 1835, he married Mary Lanciskes, a native of Zanesville, Ohio. She died in 1880. Together, they had six children: Mary, George, John, Charles, Robert and Martha. In 1882, Anderson married Martha J. Terry of Jeffersonville. Anderson was a member of the Church of God and acted as Treasurer for the town of Jeffersonville.