Scope and Contents
This collection contains information about architects living in Terre Haute in the period 1858-1884. It includes: a history Josse A. Vrydagh and his architectural firm Vrydagh & Sons; and a listing of architects who lived in Terre Haute, according to the city directories of the time.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Josse A. Vrydagh was born in Louvain, Belgium on May 16, 1833, the son of Peter and Mary Vrydagh. His father, a grocer, wanted his son to become a priest, so he sent his son to a Catholic Seminary. Vrydagh left the school in 1847, and moved to France, where he worked for the local civil engineer before beginning his education at the Louvain School of Fine Arts. In 1854 he joined the Phalansterian colony and with 250 other individuals, moved to Dallas, Texas. He left the colony in 1858 and began travels throughout the United States and Europe until 1863, when he returned to the United States and began working in Illinois. In 1866, he moved to Terre Haute, IN. He opened his own architectural firm, Vrydagh & Sons. He and his firm designed buildings throughout Indiana, including residential homes, buildings for DePauw University, court houses in Sullivan Bedford and Mt. Vernon and several catholic churches across the state.
Mr. Vrydagh was married in Belgium in 1862, to Victoria Notez. Together they had five children: Mary, Martin, Jupiter, Robert and Allison. He was a member of Euclid Lodge of A.F.A.M., Terre Haute, IN. He died in Terre Haute in 1898.