Skip to main content

Flat Rock Circuit, Methodist Protestant Church record book

 Collection — Folder: S2286
Identifier: S2286

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the record book of the Flat Rock Circuit, Methodist Protestant Church of Indiana. The record book begins with the first quarterly conference at Milroy in October 1848. Beginning in November 1853, the quarterly conference minutes were recorded as the Friendship Circuit, then changed to the Friendship Mission with the January 1855 minutes. In October 1856, the meeting minutes are again recorded as the Friendship Circuit, then change to the Morristown Circuit in October 1863. Following the division of the Morristown Circuit at the annual conference in 1868, the record book again records the minutes of the Friendship Circuit until November 1871 when the meeting minutes of the Friendship Methodist Church are recorded and continue through February 1894.


  • 1848-1894

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

In 1848, the Flat Rock Circuit of the Methodist Protestant Church included churches in Rush and Franklin Counties in Indiana. At the 1853 annual conference, the name of the circuit was changed to the Friendship Circuit. The following year, Friendship Circuit was divided and The Points, Rushville, Andersonville, Milroy and the territory included within the lines drawn from these points was to be called Friendship Mission and the remaining area was to be called the Flat Rock Circuit. In 1856, the annual conference reunited Friendship Mission and Flat Rock Circuit under the name Friendship Circuit. In 1863, Friendship Circuit and Morristown Mission were combined and called Morristown Circuit. In 1868, the Morristown Circuit was divided and territory east of Big Flat Rock, including Rushville, was called Friendship Circuit and the territory west was to be called Morristown Circuit. Beginning with the first quarterly conference in November 1871, the Friendship Circuit was recorded as the Friendship Methodist Church.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from John C. Coons in 1941/04.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2022/03/09 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2022/03/09 by Laura Eliason.
Flat Rock Circuit, Methodist Protestant Church record book
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.