Scope and Contents
This collection includes photostats of a typewritten copy of "A History of the Church of Christ at Coburn's Corners." The 15-page history was written by Walter H. Coburn in 1937 presumably in honor of the church's centennial. The collection also includes a photostat copy of a May 6, 1970 typewritten note by Winifred Waters, the great-granddaughter of church founder Benjamin Alton, Sr. and donor of the collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Coburn Corners Church of Christ, located a few miles southeast of St. Joe in DeKalb County, Indiana, was organized on February 17, 1837 and was the first church of any denomination in the county. The founding members had moved to the county from Trumbull County, Ohio and included Benjamin and Fanny Alton, Sr., Benjamin Alton, Jr., Lorenzo Alton, Asher W. and Hannah Coburn, John F. and Minerva Coburn, Nancy Babcock, Samuel Headly, and James Hadsell. Benjamin Alton, Sr. served as the congregation's first minister. The chruch was orignially referred to as "Coburn's Corners," but later changed to "Coburn Corners." Walter H. Coburn (1895-1985) was the grandson of church founder John F. Coburn and presented the evening service sermon for the church's Centennial Celebration Day on June 13, 1937.
Information found within collection.
"Centennial Celebration of Coburn Corners Church." The Waterloo Press (Ind.), June 3, 1937. https://www.newspapers.com.
Coburn Corners Church of Christ. "About: More Info." Accessed November 20, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/pg/CoburnCorners/about/?ref=page_internal.
FindaGrave.com. "Walter H. Coburn." Find a Grave Memorial no. 67655159. Accessed November 20, 2020. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/67655159/walter-h.-coburn.