The law firm began in 1914 when James Bingham began practicing law on his own, after he left a small firm. Mr. Bingham graduated from Wabash College in 1911, but never attended law school. In 1918, George Bingham joined his son but they never formed a partnership. When Maurice Mendenhall came on board in 1925, the firm of Bingham Mendenhall and Bingham began. Maurice left in 1937, and Charles Cook joined the firm, so the name changed to Bingham Cook and Bingham. After George Bingham died in 1947, a young World War II hero, Claude Spilman, added his name to the firm's title, thus becoming Bingham Cook and Spilman. In 1949, with the addition of Paul Summers, the name became Bingham Summers and Spilman. When Matthew Welsh left the governor's office in 1965, the firm became Bingham Summers Welsh and Spilman, and kept that name for 36 years. In 1970, the firm moved from the Circle Tower to the first skyscraper in Indianapolis, the new Indiana National Bank Tower. Here, the firm grew from 12 attorneys to 54 attorneys and ten paralegals in January 1989, when the firm moved to the new Market Tower. Since that time, there have been three firms to merge with BSWS. In January 2002, McHale Cook and Welch came, resulting in the name changing to Bingham McHale. In November 2005, Kiefer and McGoff joined the firm. In January 2008, McTurnan and Turner became part of the firm. In May 2008, there were 140 attorneys in four office. Bingham McHale was the fourth largest law firm in the State of Indiana.