Jay, Starke and Parke County public schools photograph collection
Scope and Contents
- circa 1894-1904
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Jay County, Indiana, was created by an act of the Indiana General Assembly of February 7, 1835 and organized by a law of January 30, of the following year, effective March 1st. It is comprised of 12 townships and was named for John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Jay County Historical Society, Inc. "Jay County's Beginnings." Accessed August 21, 2017. http://www.jaycountyhistory.org/category/about-jay-county.
Parke County, Indiana, formed in 1821, was named after Benjamin Parke, territorial congressman and judge, who served as the first president of the Indiana Historical Society. The county is well known for its covered bridges and festivals.
L304: Parke County collection
"It is believed that the first settler, an Englishman named Edward Smith, lived on land in what is known as Oregon Township in 1835. The first sawmill was built in 1849 at the end of Koontz's Lake, named by Samuel Koontz. He then added a gristmill in 1853, and farmers from all over hauled their grain to be milled into flour and feed.
Starke County was organized in 1850, the next-to-the-last county in the state. Its shape is due to the fact that the mighty Kankakee River is the western boundary of the county, and building a bridge across the river to what might have been the rest of the county posed a serious financial burden. So the area northwest of the river was included in LaPorte County, leaving only nine townships in Starke County. The county was named after the Revolutionary War General, John Stark.
Two lakes are well-known. Bass Lake (formerly known as Cedar Lake) is the larger and was the playground of the "rich and famous", including Al Capone (personal knowledge of Edythe Simmons Huffman) during the early 1900s. The state beach attracts scores of visitors in the summer. Koontz Lake has been revitalized after a devastating and deadly tornado dumped houses and debris into the lake in 1965.
The town of Knox was laid out in April 1850 and became the county seat. North Judson was originally named Brantwood, where a post office was established in 1860. It was located about one mile northwest of the present town. Mail was delivered to Knox and to the village of San Pierre on the Star Route in 1862 under a government contract at $163.00 per year, there being no railroads between the towns at the time.
The Honorable Henry F. Schricker is one of the best-known citizens to have lived in Starke County. He was born in North Judson, lived in Knox, was a banker, distinguished businessman and was twice elected Governor of Indiana. His wife, Maude, made wonderful banana cream pie . His funeral was held in the Knox High School gymnasium and was attended by many local and out-of-town residents (personal knowledge of Edythe Simmons Huffman, who grew up just a few doors down the block). The Starke County Historical Society's Museum is located in the former Schricker home on Main Street in Knox. The main building of the Starke County Public Library System, located in Knox, is named for Henry F. Schricker.
Che Mah, the smallest man in the world at 28 inches, retired in Knox after years of traveling with the circus. Born in China in 1838, he came to the United States in 1881 at the age of 43 years. Some of his special clothes and furniture are displayed in the museum.
Three courthouses have served Starke County over the years. The first was a small, primitive structure. The second, built in 1863, was an imposing structure built of wood with colonial columns. In 1897 the present Romanesque-style courthouse was built of architectural limestone, complete with a clock tower that remains as one of the tallest structures in the county.
Railroads have played an important part in the development of the county, bringing visitors from Chicago to Bass Lake in the early 1920s, and providing the means to transport farm products from the county to other parts of the country. The first railroad in the county passed through San Pierre. The first railroad through Knox was the Nickel Plate, now the Norfolk and Southern Corporation."
Source: Starke County Historical Society, Inc. "Preserving The Past For Future Generations." Accessed August 21, 2017. http://starkehistory.com/index_files/Page832.htm.
3 Cubic Feet (1 large oversize box)
Language of Materials
- Jay, Starke and Parke County public schools photograph collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description