Harold Brown Adkinson, Indianapolis Fire Department photograph collection
Scope and Contents
Dates
- 1874-1939
Creator
- Adkinson, Harold Brown, 1906-1944 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical Note
On December 16, 1944, Adkinson was part of a crew on a routine test run of Engine #20. The vehicle apparently slid on some ice and ran into a car, overturning the engine. Chauffeur Hubert S. Toombs died at the scene and Adkinson, who was standing on the back step of the engine, was thrown from the vehicle. He died from his injuries five days later.
Historical Note
When the volunteer firemen proved political and uncontrollable, the city passed an ordinace to create a paid force on November 14, 1859, which would be named the Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD). The department started wtih two hand engines and one hook and ladder company, before receiving three steam engines in 1860. In 1870, the Mile Square in downtown Indianapolis gained 15 miles of pipes and water mains. During this period, firement lived in the firehouses. Indianapolis firefighters were identified by badges and later leather hats, until they were uniformed in 1874, with regulation uniforms adopted in 1928.
The department grew rapidly after the U.S. Civil War. In 1877, 79 firefighters used 11 hose reels, 7 steamers, and 2 hook and ladder companies. Technological advancements led to improved alarm systems, with the first electric alarm system installed in 1868. Telephones were added in 1880.
The first African American fire company was formed in 1876. Segregation of Indianapolis' fire stations purportedly ended on January 1, 1960. By 1974, a little over half the stations were integrated and Joseph Kimbrew became the first Black fire chief 13 years later on January 19, 1987. The first female firefighted was Bryona Slaughter, also Black, who was hired in 1978.
By 1909, IFD employed 264 firemen and possessed 12 engines, 27 hose reel wagons, 4 chemical engines, 10 hook and ladder companies, and 121 horses. After 1901, the old electric alarms were replaced with a Gamewell system of 280 pull boxes and were in use until 1955. Until 1929, new firemen learned on the job at their assigned stations. Standards improved after wWorld War II.
The IFD began shifting from horse-drawn to motor vehicles in 1908. By 1921, the departmetn was entirely motorized, with the last horse being sold in 1928.
Sources:
Doherty, William and Elizabeht J. Van Allen. "Indianapolis Fire Department. The Polis Center, Indiana University Pudue University Indianapolis. Accessed April 16, 2021. https://polis.iupui.edu/indianapolis-fire-department.
Extent
2 Cubic Feet (9 small oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
English
Arrangement
Custodial History
Accruals
Existence and Location of Copies
Processing Information
Creator
- Adkinson, Harold Brown, 1906-1944 (Person)
- Title
- Harold Brown Adkinson, Indianapolis Fire Department photograph collection
- Status
- Completed
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671
