Chittenden family collection
Scope and Contents
Correspondents include Will Cumback (Oct. 19, 1868, Nov. 10, 1868, Nov. 19, 1868), Walter Q. Gresham (Nov. 16, 1880 and Dec. 10, 1880), Benjamin Harrison (Feb. 2, 1881, Mar. 30, 1881, Dec. 15, 1882, Oct. 4, 1884), and Albert Gallatin Porter (Feb. 22, 1881).
The collection also includes two account books of the Chittenden family (V034). The first volume is an account book used by Linfield Branham, father of Amanda Chittenden, for his store in Vernon, Indiana. The bulk of the entries range from 1849 to 1851, but there are a few pages with entries from 1871 to 1872 regarding business he conducted in Anderson, Indiana. The second volume is an account book used by Dr. George Crittenden in 1860 to record patient treatment and fees for his medical practice in Anderson.
- Chittenden family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Amanda Branham Chittenden was born in 1832 in Vernon, Jennings County, Indiana. She died in 1889.
Edgar Chittenden was born in November 1864; he attended DePauw University where he studied medicine. He married Cecil Ross on August 4, 1898 and together they had three children.
Items in the collection.
Rebecca A. Shepherd et al., eds. A Biographical directory of the Indiana General Assembly, vol. 2. Indianapolis: Select Committee on the Centennial History of the Indiana.
Ancestry.com. Accessed April 30, 2007. http://www.ancestrylibrary.com.
0.8 Cubic Feet (2 manuscript boxes, 2 volumes)
- Anderson (Ind.)
- Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane
- Chicago (Ill.)
- College students -- Indiana
- DePauw University
- Greencastle (Ind.)
- Hartsville (Ind.)
- Medicine -- Practice
- Political conventions -- Illinois
- Political parties -- United States
- Politicians -- Indiana
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Republican Party (Ind.)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Veterans -- Pensions
- United States -- Politics and government
- United States. Army. Indiana Volunteer Regiment, 16th (1861-1862)
- Universities and colleges -- Indiana
- Vernon (Ind.)
- Chittenden family collection
- Description rules