Indiana Women's Prison
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Dana L. Blank oral history
Scope and Contents This collection contains a transcript and audiotape reel of an oral history interview with Dana L. Blank, conducted by Susan Bell for the Indiana State Library on October 19, 1973. Blank discusses her philosophy on recreation and corrections, the recreation programs she instituted at the Indiana Girls’ School, and the co-recreational activities with the Rockville Training Center and the Henryville Boy’s School.
Found in: Rare Books and Manuscripts / Dana L. Blank oral history
Dorothy Gardner oral history
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a transcript and 2 reel-to-reel audiotapes from 3 interviews with Dorothy Gardner, conducted by Susan Bell of the Indiana State Library, on August 19, 1974 and February 16-17, 1977. Gardner discusses her experiences with the Indiana Woman’s Prison, as well as the changes she made to the prison and her various roles in the state government. She also discussed her family, mainly her children and grandchildren, visiting her at the prison.
Dates: 1974/08/19; 1977/02/16; 1977/02/17
Indiana state prisons photograph collection
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents This collection includes black-and-white photographs, most likely from the Indiana Department of Correction, in Indiana ranging from circa 1930 to circa 1955, regarding buildings, facilities, prisoners, corrections staff and administration, and prison life in Indiana State Prison in Michigan City; Indiana Reformatory in Jeffersonville; Indiana State Farm in Putnam County; Indiana Women's Prison in Indianapolis; and unidentified prisons. Most of the photographs appear to have come from a...
Dates: circa 1930-1955
Indiana Women's Prison photographs
Collection — Folder: SP077
Scope and Contents This collection includes photographs of the Indiana Women's Prison in Indianapolis, Indiana ranging from circa 1900 to 1961 regarding its buildings, grounds, and staff, as well as the inmates and their activities. The bulk of the staff photographs were taken in January 1935, while most of the building and interior views are from the early 1900s, 1935, and 1958.
Dates: circa 1900-1961