Porter County (Ind.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Collection — Folder S009
Collection — Folder S1140
Scope and Contents This collection includes a 14-page manuscript entitled "Roads Across Old Bailly Town," a paper written by Olga Mae Schiemann and read before the Duneland Historical Scoiety of Chesterton, Indiana on September, 20, 1951, concerning the settlement of Baillytown, Indiana in Porter County. There is also a newspaper clipping from the Chesterton Tribune on September 27, 1951 about Schiemann's talk at the historical society and a letter from Schiemann to the Indiana State Library about the donation of...
Collection — Folder S1686
Scope and Contents The collection includes three items from Porter County, Indiana, comprising a copy of a typed manuscript of the townships of Porter County, circa 1916; copies of naval letters regarding construction of a lighthouse at City West, Indiana in 1837 with an accompanying letter from Captain W. D. MacDougall to William H. Matthew on June 6, 1921; and a letter rom A.F. Knotts to Richard Lieber on August 30, 1929 with an accompanying photostat of a hand-drawn map depicting the location of the old fort...
Collection — Folder S2159
Scope and Contents This collection includes the record book for the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school of Valparaiso, Indiana. The school minutes range from January 29, 1865 to June 17, 1866 and the bulk of the entries are recorded with John N. Skinner as superintendent and J. Baker Hawkins as secretary. A few entries were added by J.P. Roberts as secretary and B. Wilson Smith as superintendent. The collection also includes an 1865 circular letter with "To the Sabbath Schools in Indiana" on one side and "To...
Collection — Folder S2121
Scope and Contents This collection includes the March 6, 1930 letter written by William J. Hamilton, head librarian of the Gary Public Library, and sent to Miss Ester U. McNitt at the Indiana State Library. The letter mentions a statement by an old resident of Porter County, Indiana that the farm houses of Ben Crisman and Norman Tanner were used as underground railroad stations.