Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Collection — Folder: S1316
Scope and Contents The letters by James Edward Toner are photocopies. In the April 1864 letter to his father from Memphis, Tennessee, he wrote about the riot in Matton, Illinois. He described sights in Vicksburg, and his trip to New Orleans. In October 1864, James wrote from Terrebonne, Louisiana, about the resignation of Lieutenant Colonel Redfield due to consumption and Major Conover replacing him. He wrote that he feared Governor Oliver P. Morton would not be re-elected. H. B. Finch, Military Attorney, wrote...
Scope and Contents The collection includes 9 of John Coburn’s letter books rangin from 1879 to 1903, chiefly relating to his Indianapolis law practice, but also including letters on Republican Party politics, local civic activities, and Indiana history; correspondence regarding political appointments, and his work on banking and military affairs; other correspondence regarding politics; correspondence and financial papers relating to the settlement of the estate of Augustus Coburn, including papers relating to...
Collection — Folder: S2114
Scope and Contents This collection contains documents related to John McCrea dated from 1851 to 1867. Included are an appointment of John McCrea as attorney to Thomas Wells and Shubel Blanding, McCrea's military discharge, and two pieces of correspondence on a single sheet of paper, one to McCrea regarding a shipment of home furnishings from Cincinnati.
Collection — Folder: S1902
Scope and Contents This collection includes photocopies of the diary kept by Matthias B. Collins while serving with Company I, 33rd Indiana Infantry Regiment during the American Civil War. Written in an 1863 pocket diary, the entries start on January 1 in camp at Danville, Kentucky and continue through to the end of the year. Photocopies of diary were donated by Edna Eugenia (Collins) Morlan, granddaughter of Matthias Collins.
Collection — Folder: S1446
Scope and Contents This collection includes photocopies of six letters sent to Rufus E. and Mary Dalrymple Andrews during the Civil War. Mary's brother John W. Dalrymple sent her the following letters while serving with Company I, 74th Indiana Regiment: May 7, 1863 from Lavergne, Tennessee, February 2, 1964 from Chattanooga, Tennessee and September 12, 1864 from camp near Atlanta, Georgia. Rufus received a September 20, 1863 letter sent by Asbury C. Gerard from Camp Shanks, Indianapolis following his muster into...
Scope and Contents This collection contains 2 sets of photocopies of Sydney C. Kerksis's typescript, "Action at Gilgal Church, Georgia, June 15-16, 1864." The typescript includes a narrative of the action, official reports, extracts of regimental reports, regimental histories and extracts from Civil War diaries. Pages 41, 50-51 of the typescript are missing. Also included in the collection is a booklet entitled, "Twelve Views of the Indianapolis Flood of March 1913 Taken by a Daring Photographer During the Worst...
Dates: 1864, 1913
Collection — Folder: S0220
Scope and Contents There are three photocopied items in this collection, two letters, and a discharge certificate. Both letters were written from Christiana, Tennessee, where the 33rd Indiana Regiment camped from November 5, 1863 until February 1864. On February 25, 1864, 450 veterans received furloughs, and, upon their return, the regiment joined General William T. Sherman’s army.On January 27, 1864, Harrison wrote to his parents about Col. John Coburn’s “mighty good speech” about the war ending in...
- Names: United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 33rd (1861-1865) X
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 4
- Correspondence 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Military life 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 3
- Indiana -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Soldiers 2
- Authors, American -- Indiana -- 20th century 1
- Diaries 1
- Floods -- Indiana -- Indianapolis 1
- Georgia -- Church history -- 19th century 1
- Indiana -- Politics and government 1
- Lawyers 1
- Lawyers -- Indiana 1
- Military discharge 1
- Politicians 1
- Politicians -- Indiana 1
- Politics and government 1
- Receipts (Acknowledgements) 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- United States -- Politics and government 1
- War diaries 1 ∧ less
- Andrews, Mary Dalrymple 1
- Andrews, Rufus E. 1
- Carlisle, William Harrison 1
- Coburn, John, 1825-1908 1
- Collins, Matthias B., 1842-1896 1
- Dalrymple, John W. (1843?-1892) 1
- Gerard, Asbury C., 1841-1896 1
- Hite or Hyte, Samuel H., 1844-1929 1
- Indiana. General Assembly 1
- Kerksis, Sydney C., 1916-1980 1
- McCrea, John 1
- Republican Party (Ind.) 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Toner, James E., 1814- 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 7th (1863-1866) 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 70th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 74th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 73rd (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 22nd (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Congress. House 1
- Winter, Roger L., 1931-1979 1 ∧ less