Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Collection — Folder: S1273
Scope and Contents Charles A. Suffrins wrote his memoirs in pencil on ten sheets of paper, which are difficult to read. However, much of the information is in the Indianapolis Sunday Star article dated April 26, 1931, entitled "Kaleidoscope of State History Found In Notes of Late Charles A. Suffrins." This article is the last item in the collection. Charles worked for the Indianapolis Journal, edited by Harry Stewart New (1858-1937), with whom he corresponded. Among the letters are ones by two presidents....
Collection — Folder: S0588
Scope and Contents This collection contains a typewritten letter sent from Florence K. Harding to Mrs. Harry S. New on February 3, 1922. Typed on White House stationary and signed by Mrs. Harding, it is a personal letter addressed to "Dear Bill New", a nickname used by Mrs. New's close friends. Mrs. Harding notes that things are "going better" than expected (Senator New's campaign), speaks of several people they know in common, and mentions the "Knickerbocker disaster." Also included is a one-page, typed...
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The majority of the collections consist of New’s correspondence regarding state and national politics (particularly the 1912, 1920, and 1924 Presidential elections). Correspondence also includes discussion of his work as U.S. Postmaster General (1923-1929). New adds several notes throughout the collection (written in the early 1930s) that provide contextual background and significance of correspondence. New also provides his reminiscences of the 1896, 1908, and 1912 Presidential elections; 1898...
Collection — Folder: S1088
Scope and Contents There are ten unrelated items in this collection, including a note from Hugh McCulloch, Treasury Department to Lander Bishop and Company, dated June 17, 1865. The note thanks "Gentlemen" for the portrait of Washington which they sent. Also included is a letter to Honorable Sidney Dillon, President Union Pacific R.R., from James N. Tyner, Postmaster General, February 20, 1877, regarding the rates for mails sent by rail. A letter to Erastus Brainard, Esq., from W. Q. Gresham, dated March 8,...
Scope and Contents This collection includes correspondence; financial documents; photographs; and drawings; brochures; social invitations; naturalization papers; outlines of right and left foot; from many persons and governmental units in the United States and Germany, in English and German, ranging from 1892-1958 regarding Abraham and Nancy Hanks Lincoln; monuments; family matters; National Park Service; Indiana State Parks; Thomas Hart Benton; Civilian Conservation Corps; Indiana World's Fair Commission and...
Scope and Contents The collection includes Hays' correspondence, speeches, scrapbooks, notebooks and photographs, principally from the period of 1914-1954. His political papers include correspondence and other papers regarding his work as Indiana and National Republican Party Chairman; his work with the State Council of Defense during World War I; his efforts to unite the liberal and conservative wings of the Republican Party for the 1920 election, including his correspondence with Theodore Roosevelt on the...
- Names: New, Harry S. (Harry Stewart), 1858-1937 X
- Correspondence 5
- Photographs 3
- Elections -- United States 2
- Indiana -- Politics and government -- 20th century 2
- Politicians -- United States -- 20th century 2
- Politics and government 2
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century 2
- American poetry -- 19th century 1
- Banks and banking -- Indiana 1
- Businessmen -- Indiana 1
- Cabinet officers -- United States 1
- Charities -- United States 1
- Coal mines and mining 1
- Copyright -- United States 1
- Elections 1
- Forestry and natural resources 1
- Indiana 1
- Indiana -- Presbyterian churches 1
- International relief 1
- Invitation cards 1
- Lawyers -- Indiana 1
- Manuscripts 1
- Motion picture industry -- United States -- History 1
- Motion pictures -- Censorship 1
- Parks -- Indiana 1
- Politicians -- Indiana 1
- Postal service 1
- Potash industry and trade 1
- Railroads -- United States 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Speeches, addresses, etc. 1
- Stone carving -- Indiana 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century 1
- Washington (D.C.) 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States -- Equipment and supplies 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States -- War work. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Motion pictures and the war 1 ∧ less