Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of Pratt’s legal and political papers from the period 1831 to 1877. His legal papers include correspondence, briefs, legal and financial documents, and notes regarding his cases in Logansport and northern Indiana, including both criminal and civil cases. The collection also contains papers regarding collection of debts for eastern law firms and papers related to the settlement of the estate of Senator John Tipton. Additionally, there are correspondence and...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the correspondence is that of Julian and his wife, Laura Giddings Julian, and with his children, Grace and Paul, while he was serving in Congress, working as an attorney in Washington, D.C., and on speaking tours. In his letters with Laura, he discusses questions before Congress. Additional correspondence includes letters to Laura from her father, Joshua R. Giddings, written while he was serving in Congress or as U.S. consul general to Canada in Montreal (1861-1864); correspondence...
Collection — Folder: S1064
Scope and Contents Collection includes a handwritten letter from Indiana Representative Gilbert Ashville Pierce on August 29, 1870, to Schuyler Colfax, Vice President of the United States under President Ulysses S. Grant. In the letter, Pierce urges Colfax to run for President of the United States in 1872.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection contains Godlove S. Orth’s letters to Schuyler Colfax, discussing Whig, Know Nothing, and Republican Party politics, the Indiana General Assembly, and other state and national issues. Also included are copies of Orth’s letters to James A. Garfield.
Collection — Folder: S0803
Scope and Contents This collection contains a letter written by Joanna M. Lane to author and historian, Benson J. Lossing, on December 8, 1863. The letter contains Mrs. Lane's comments regarding life in Washington D.C., the situation in the House of Representatives and the expected election of Schulyer Colfax as Speaker of the House, and the growing feelings against General Mead.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection contains letters to John B. Stoll regarding state and national Democratic Party politics (1866-1920), including correspondence relating to the 1870 and 1872 campaigns. Also included are letters from German Democrats in the state, as well as correspondence relating to northern Indiana newspapers and his work with the Democratic State Editorial Association. The collection has Stoll’s work on the history of the Democratic Party in Indiana along with his political speeches and...
Collection — Box: 1-7
Scope and Contents This collection consist primarily of correspondence and papers from Morton’s Senatorial career with an emphasis on the 1876 presidential election and Louisiana politics in 1873 and 1874. There is also family correspondence, financial papers, speeches and notes on Republican politics, the Civil War, secession, and Reconstruction.Correspondents include Schuyler Colfax, Henry W. Halleck, Andrew Johnson, Henry S. Lane, Abraham Lincoln, George B. McClellan, Joaquin Miller, William H....
Scope and Contents The majority of the collection consists of Colfax's correspondence from 1841 to 1884 regarding Whig and Republican Party politics in Indiana and nationally. Also included are letters from Indiana officers in the Civil War regarding promotions and assignments; Colfax's letters on routine business as Speaker of the House and Vice President; his letters regarding speaking engagements; letters to his wife regarding his role in the "Credit Mobilier" affair in 1875; and letters regarding his...
- Names: Colfax, Schuyler, 1823-1885 X
- Indiana -- Politics and government -- 19th century 7
- Correspondence 5
- Lawyers -- Indiana 2
- Legislators -- United States 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Reconstruction 2
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century 2
- Abolitionists -- Indiana 1
- Antislavery movements 1
- Canada -- Foreign relations -- United States 1
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Canada 1
- Diplomats -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Education -- Indiana 1
- Family history 1
- Genealogical research 1
- Grocery trade -- Indiana 1
- Immigrants 1
- Immigrants -- Germany 1
- Indiana -- Politics and government 1
- Indianapolis (Ind.) 1
- Irvington (Indianapolis, Ind.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Law practice -- Indiana 1
- Lectures and lecturing 1
- Legislators -- Indiana 1
- Legislators' spouses -- Indiana -- Correspondence 1
- Logansport (Ind.) 1
- Louisiana 1
- Mankato (Minn.) 1
- Meat industry and trade -- Indiana 1
- New Carlisle (Ind.) 1
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 1
- New York 1
- Politicians -- Indiana 1
- Politics and government 1
- Practice of law -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Presidents -- Election 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1876 1
- Real property 1
- South Bend (Ind.) 1
- Temperance -- United States 1
- United States -- Emigration and immigration 1
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 1861-1865 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Vice-Presidents -- United States 1
- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Women's rights -- United States 1
- Women's suffrage 1 ∧ less