Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
Collection — Folder: S1604
Scope and Contents This collection comprises a ticket to the second nomination of Charles W. Fairbanks as a U.S. senator for Indiana at the Indiana Statehouse on January 20, 1903. The ticket belonged to one W. E. Henry and was signed by Lieutenant Governor Newton W. Gilbert.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of Edward A. Mitchell's congressional papers (1946-1949), including correspondence regarding veterans' claims and benefits, and papers relating to Mitchell's service on the House of Representatives Veterans Committee; correspondence and legislative papers regarding bills introduced or supported by Mitchell, including the Taft-Hartley Act, the elimination of the tax on oleomargarine, the abolition of the War Assets Administration, and changes in the Chinese Immigration...
Scope and Contents This collection includes newspaper, journal articles and photographs of Senator Birch Bayh, Governor Roger Branigan, surgeon Michael DeBakey, President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Senator Barry M. Goldwater, Will Hays, Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, First Lady Claudia Alla "Lady Bird" Johnson, Luci Baines Johnson, President Lyndon B. Johnson, actress Carole Lombard, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, Vice President and Mrs. Richard M. Nixon, Gov. Henry F. Schricker, Robert A. Taft,...
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of correspondence of Socialist Party Executive Secretary Otto Branstertter, with and regarding Debs during 1920–1923, including letters regarding amnesty for Debs and other people imprisoned for their opposition to World War 1, as well as letters regarding Socialist Party politics and Debs role in the party following his release from prison. Also included are Debs’ writings on the labor movement, his essay on Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1922), statements of Debs...
Collection — Folder: S0588
Scope and Contents This collection contains a typewritten letter sent from Florence K. Harding to Mrs. Harry S. New on February 3, 1922. Typed on White House stationary and signed by Mrs. Harding, it is a personal letter addressed to "Dear Bill New", a nickname used by Mrs. New's close friends. Mrs. Harding notes that things are "going better" than expected (Senator New's campaign), speaks of several people they know in common, and mentions the "Knickerbocker disaster." Also included is a one-page, typed...
Scope and Contents The majority of the collections consist of New’s correspondence regarding state and national politics (particularly the 1912, 1920, and 1924 Presidential elections). Correspondence also includes discussion of his work as U.S. Postmaster General (1923-1929). New adds several notes throughout the collection (written in the early 1930s) that provide contextual background and significance of correspondence. New also provides his reminiscences of the 1896, 1908, and 1912 Presidential elections; 1898...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of five folders that contain papers on the Indiana Citizens Committee on Child Welfare Legislation, (ICCCWL), House Bill 1215, miscellaneous newspaper clippings, and correspondence. The ICCCWL was an organization that lobbied for child welfare and stricter child abuse laws. House Bill 1215, sponsored by Congressman William Latz, was a bill that would shift the administration of Township Poor Relief from the Township Trustees to the County Welfare Departments. Daniels...
Scope and Contents This collection consists principally of papers related to John V. Beamer's career in Congress from 1951 to 1959 and includes correspondence regarding legislation and political issues from constituents and colleagues, national associations, labor unions, Indiana newspapers, colleges and universities, and businesses in his district; speeches, newsletters, and press releases; copies of the Congressional Record; newspaper clippings; campaign records, printing plates, and publicity material;...
Collection — Box: 1-4
Scope and Contents This collection consists primarily of Swift’s correspondence from the period 1885-1908 relating to his work with federal civil service reform, including correspondence relating to the work of the National Civil Service Reform League; Swift’s publication of the Civil Service Chronicle; federal appointments in Indiana and elsewhere, and the work of the U.S. Civil Service Commission; and the role of reformers in state and national elections. Also included is correspondence regarding Swift’s...
Scope and Contents This collection contains the correspondence of Meredith Nicholson ranging from 1893 to 1942. The correspondence includes original letters sent to Maurice Thompson, Stephen Noland, Louis Bailey, C.B. Coleman, Indiana State Library librarians, and others. The collection also contains photocopies of correspondence between Mr. Nicholson and Charles Scribner's Sons editors Robert Bridges, Maxwell Perkins, John Hall Wheelock, and E.L. Burlingame. The photocopied letters include Nicholson's views on...
- Subject: United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century X
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 2
- Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison), 1915- 2
- New, Harry S. (Harry Stewart), 1858-1937 2
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 2
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 2
- Willkie, Wendell L. (Wendell Lewis), 1892-1944 2
- Anti-liquor Association (Goshen, Ind.) 1
- Bailey, Louis J. (Louis Jonathan) 1
- Beamer, John V. (John Valentine), 1896-1964 1
- Beveridge, Albert J. (Albert Jeremiah), 1862-1927 1
- Bradley, Omar Nelson, 1893-1981 1
- Branigin, Roger D. (Roger Douglas), 1902-1975 1
- Bridges, Robert 1
- Burlingame, Edward L. (Edward Livermore) 1
- Capehart, Homer E. (Homer Earl) 1897-1979 1
- Charles Scribner’s Sons 1
- Coleman, Christopher Bush 1
- DeBakey, Michael E. (Michael Ellis), 1908-2008 1
- Debs, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1855-1926 1
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 1
- Fairbanks, Charles W. (Charles Warren), 1852-1918 1
- Flanner, Janet 1
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006 1
- Gilbert, Newton W. (Newton Whiting) 1
- Goldwater, Barry M. (Barry Morris), 1909-1998 1
- Halleck, Charles A. (Charles Abraham), 1900-1986 1
- Harding, Florence Kling 1
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923 1
- Harrod, Mildred Dixon, 1906-1994 1
- Indiana Citizens Committee 1
- Indiana Flood Control and Water Resources Commission 1
- Indiana State Capitol (Indianapolis, Ind.) 1
- Indiana. General Assembly 1
- Indiana. General Assembly. House of Representatives 1
- Johnson, Lady Bird 1
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines) 1
- Ku Klux Klan (1915-) 1
- Lombard, Carole, 1908-1942 1
- Macmillan, Harold, 1894-1986 1
- McCarthy, Joseph, 1908-1957 1
- McNutt, Paul V. (Paul Vories), 1891-1955 1
- Mitchell, Clarence M. (Clarence Maurice), 1911-1984 1
- Mitchell, Edward A. (Edward Archibald) 1
- National Civil Service Reform League (U.S.) 1
- New, Catherine McLean Brown 1
- Nicholson, Meredith 1
- Nixon, Pat, 1912-1993 1
- Noland, Stephen C. (Stephen Croan) 1
- Perkins, Maxwell E. (Maxwell Evarts) 1
- Prohibition Party (U.S.) 1
- Pulliam, Eugene S. 1
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- Rugenstein, John C. 1
- Schricker, Henry F. (Henry Fredrick) 1
- Socialist Party (U.S.) 1
- Swift, Lucius B. (Lucius Burrie) 1
- Taft, Robert A. 1
- Thompson, Maurice 1
- United States. Congress. House of Representatives 1
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Interstate Commerce 1
- United States. Congress. Senate. 1
- United States. Post Office Department 1
- Wheelock, John Hall 1 ∧ less