Eugene C. Pulliam collection
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
He held 11 honorary degrees, many journalism awards, including the John Peter Zenger award and memberships on many boards of directors. He was a philanthropist, especially supporting the Indianapolis and Phoenix zoos and provided scholarships for carriers and children of employees. Eugene was personally acquainted with every President, beginning with Theodore Roosevelt.
He married Myrta M. Smith on February 21, 1912 in Hamilton County, Indiana. They had one son, Eugene Smith Pulliam, who also became a newspaper publisher. Myrta died in 1917 and is buried in McCordsville Cemetery, McCordsville, Indiana. He next married Martha Ott in 1919. They had two daughters, Martha Corinne and Helen Suzanne. Martha Corinne married James Quayle, with whom she had a son, James Danforth "Dan" Quayle, the 44th Vice President of the United States. Helen Suzanne married William Murphy. Eugene and Martha divorced in 1941. She was the publisher of the Lebanon "Reporter" from 1940-1990 and died in 1991 at the age of 100. Martha is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Franklin, Indiana. His third wife was Nina Mason, a journalist, writer and the first licensed woman pilot in Indiana, whom he married in 1941; they were married until his death in 1975. She became a major philanthropist and publisher after his death. Nina died in 1997 in Arizona.
Eugene died June 23, 1975 in Phoenix, Arizona. He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lebanon, Indiana.
Information found within the collection.
"Pulliam, Eugene Collins "Gene". Find a Grave Memorial. Retrieved 2017/08/28. http://www.findagrave.com
"Pulliam, Martha Ott". Find a Grave Memorial. Retrieved 2017/08/28. http://www.findagrave.com
"Pulliam, Myrta Smith Pulliam". Find a Grave Memorial. Retrieved 2017/08/28. http://www.findagrave.com
"Pulliam, Nina Mason". Find a Grave Memorial. Retrieved 2017/08/28. http://www.findagrave.com
"Pulliam, Ugene C.". 1900 United States Federal Census. Retrieved 2017/08/28. http://search.ancestrylibrary.com
1 Cubic Feet (2 manuscript boxes, 1 medium oversize box)
Language of Materials
- Branigin, Roger D. (Roger Douglas), 1902-1975
- DeBakey, Michael E. (Michael Ellis), 1908-2008
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006
- Goldwater, Barry M. (Barry Morris), 1909-1998
- Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison), 1915-
- Johnson, Lady Bird
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines)
- Lombard, Carole, 1908-1942
- Macmillan, Harold, 1894-1986
- Nixon, Pat, 1912-1993
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Pulliam, Eugene C. (Eugene Collins), 1889-1975
- Schricker, Henry F. (Henry Fredrick)
- Taft, Robert A.
- United States -- Politics and government - 20th century
- Willkie, Wendell L. (Wendell Lewis), 1892-1944
- Eugene C. Pulliam collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script