Margaret Afflis Johnston collection
Oversize items include Johnston's certificates of appointment (1949-1961); a certificate certifying Johnston's passing of the state probation examinations (1944); a citation for meritorious service for devoted service to Indiana (1956); an anti-communist China broadside (1960); a campaign broadside for Johnston's unsuccessful bid for Congress in 1946; an issue of the Indiana Democrat newspaper (April 15, 1954) and of The County Paper Hit Parade: Supplement to the Starke County Democrat (November 24, 1960); and a team photograph of a juvenile football team which includes William F. Afflis.
- circa 1916-1967
- Johnston, Margaret Afflis (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
3.5 Cubic Feet (11 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Johnston was twice married, first to Delphi businessman William W. Afflis (1897-1945) and then with Leroy Orlin Johnston, Jr. (married 1951) of Indianapolis. She died on April 17, 1967 from a heart attack at the age of 60.
Johnston's son from her first marriage, William (Dick) Franklin [Fritz] Afflis (1929-1991), was a professional athlete, who played football as a left tackle for the Green Bay Packers during the early 1950s. Afflis was known as "Dick the Bruiser" during his career as a professional wrestler, which began in 1955. He attended Purdue University in Indiana and the University of Nevada.
Items in the collection.
FindaGrave.com. "Margaret Atkinson Afflis." Find a Grave Index. Accessed June 17, 2017. http://www.findagrave.com.
"Margaret A. Johnston." Obiturary. Hoosier Democrat (Flora, IN), April 20, 1967.
"William W. Afflis." Obituary. Delphi Citizen, December 20, 1945.
Series 1: Political papers and materials, 1933-1967 Series 2: Personal and family materials, 1916-1960s Series 3: Photographs, circa 1929-1960s
- Annual reports
- Barton, John J.
- Bayh, Birch, 1928-
- Capehart, Homer E. (Homer Earl) 1897-1979
- Christmas cards
- Cotton, Luella
- Craig, George North
- Democratic National Committee (U.S.)
- Democratic National Convention
- Democratic Party (Ind.)
- Democratic Party (Ind.) State Convention
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Edwards, Marie Stuart, 1880-1970
- Equal rights amendments
- Family life
- Hartke, Vance
- Indiana -- Politics and government
- Indiana -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Indiana -- Presbyterian churches
- Indiana Woman's Prison
- Indiana. State Probation Department
- Johnson, Lady Bird
- Johnston, Margaret Afflis
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Minutes (Records)
- National Woman's Party
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy
- Political campaigns -- 20th century
- Political parties -- Indiana
- Politicians -- Indiana
- Politics and government
- Prison administration
- Prisoners and prisons
- Purdue University
- Radio speeches
- Report cards
- Roosevelt, Eleanor
- Schricker, Henry F. (Henry Fredrick)
- Social Work -- United States
- Social work with children
- Social work with juvenile delinquents
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Welsh, Matthew E. (Matthew Empson)
- Women in public life
- Women political activists
- Women politicians
- Margaret Afflis Johnston collection
- Description rules