Scope and Contents
This collection includes hand-written and typed records from members of the North End Garden Club in Indiana ranging from 1928 to 1984 regarding club meetings and events. The collection consists primarily of club minutes, their constitution and by-laws, attendance and member rosters, recordings of events, documents from projects the club was involved in, and scrapbooks.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
The North End Garden Club founded on June 22, 1928 in Indianapolis, Indiaan was one of the earliest gardening clubs in central Indiana. The club's stated purpose was to "stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening". The founding sisters, Anna and Lou Hosea, were active members until their deaths. At the monthly meetings hosted in members' homes, the women gathered to hear a lecturer, discuss gardening, and share poems. The club was active in beautification projects at state hospitals, schools, and parks (most notably, the Indianapolis Zoo). Members also participated in district, state, and national competitions, gatherings, and trips. Due to a loss of members and inability of aging members to perform tasks, they moved to disband in 1985 and to become an informal social club.
Materials from the collection;
Bodenhamer, David J., Robert G. Barrows, and David Gordon Vanderstel. The Encyclopedia of Indianapolis. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1994.
0.8 Cubic Feet (2 manuscript boxes; 3 volumes)
Language of Materials