Skip to main content

Riley Hospital Junior League Occupational Therapy Department photograph collage

 Collection — Folder: OBC027
Identifier: OBC027

Scope and Contents

This collection comprises a photographic collage with 3 black-and-white photographs glued to a board depicting the entrance of the James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children building in Indianapolis, Indiana and two images from the Junior League Occupatioanl Therapy Department at the hospital, circa 1924-1934.


  • circa 1924-1934

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children opened in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1924. It was named for the late Hoosier poet. Before Riley Hospital was built, children were treated at Robert W. Long Hospital. In 1922, the Junior League of Indianapolis started an occupatioanl therapy program at Long Hospital, which helped patients recuperating from illness recover through performing activities required in daily life, hiring a graduate occupational therapist the following year. The program moved to Riley Hospital when the building was completed in 1924. Another department was created at Long Hospital about 1926. The Junior League equipped, maintained, staffed, and administered the occupational departments at the hospitals, which were consolidated under the leadership of the first professional occupational therapist at Riley, Winifred V. Conrick, in 1934.

Today, Riley Hospital for Children is part of Indiana University Health, affiliated with the Indiana University School of Medicine, and is a nationally-ranked, freestanding, 354-bed, pediatric acute care children's hospital.


"Department of Occupational Therapy to Be Established." Indianapolis Star, March 7, 1926. Accessed May 25, 2022. ProQuest.

"Miss Conrick to Head Consolidated Therapy Department of I.U. Center." Indianapolis Star, April 1, 1934. Accessed May 25, 2022. ProQuest.

Wikipedia. "Riley Hospital for Children." Accessed May 25, 2022.


0.06 Cubic Feet (1 large oversize folder)

Language of Materials



This collection consists of one item.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Mr. Logan.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2022/05/25 by Brittany Kropf. EAD finding aid created 2022/05/25 by Brittany Kropf.
Riley Hospital Junior League Occupational Therapy Department photograph collage
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.