Scope and Contents
This collection contains the records of Medical and Dental Services, Inc. of Fort Wayne, Indiana ranging from early 1903 to 1973 and includes general correspondence and documents; agency articles of incorporation, constitutions, bylaws, and policies; Board of Directors and committee meeting minutes; monthly reports and annual reports regarding medical and dental services; case studies; financial records, audit reports, budget documents, and tax material; insurance and retirement documents; correspondence and documents regarding personnel; newspaper clippings; local social service agencies pamphlets and annual reports; correspondence and documents regarding the Community Chest and Social Planning Council; and photographs from the dental clinic. The collection also contains appointment books, medical and dental service reports, financial documents, tax forms and other employee documents that are restricted due to confidential medical and personal information.
A few items of note in the collection are poems about the Wickford House of Wickford, Rhode Island, including "The Wickford House Mop" and "Decoration Day at the Wickford House" by C.G.F. Jordan, and "The Wickford House by Lorin Colvin (circa 1910s); publications from the American Association of Medical Social Workers (1941-1943); the Purdue-Indiana University newsletter Community Teamwork (1957-1959); documents and newsletter regarding the Great Lakes Regional Institute (April -June 1957); and a pen and ink drawing of Hope Hospital and a photograph of nurses from circa 1910s.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research while separated materials are restricted. Contact the repository for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Medical and Dental Services, Inc. was a social service agency in Fort Wayne, Indiana that offered medical care to families in low or marginal income groups who did not qualify for public assistance. The agency began in June 1903 as the Hope Hospital Free Bed Fund and was organized by members of the disbanded Women's Committee of Hope Hospital that had been formed in the 1890s. The early mission of the agency was to furnish linens and provide hospitalizations for a limited number of patients. Early funding was achieved through tag days, bake sales, charity balls, and productions of operettas. In 1915, it was renamed the Woman's Hope Hospital Association, but when the hospital closed in 1918, the organization was renamed again as the Hospital and Home Service Association. The organization was incorporated in 1920 and merged with the Sick Children's Aid Society in 1927. As community needs were recognized, the organization add new services and improved its methods of counselling and casework assistance to more effectively meet the medical, hospital, and dental care needs of local residents. In 1952, the agency was reorganized as Medical and Dental Services, Inc. and continued to serve the community until it terminated operations on December 31, 1959. The agency's final bank balance was donated to the Johnny Appleseed School and Training Center on April 12, 1973.
5.6 Cubic Feet (14 manuscript boxes, 1 cubic box)
Language of Materials