Bedford, Indiana Courthouse Square street view panoramic photograph
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The first courthouse in Bedford, a 2-story log building, was built in 1825 on the east side of the public square. Situated in the center of the public square, the second Lawrence County Courthouse was a 2-story brick building completed in 1834. The third Lawrence County Courthouse building was a decorative 3-story affair, constructed of Bedford-quarried stone and finished in 1872. The interior of the courthouse was condemned in April 1929 so the city immediately began planning the building's future. The present-day and fourth courthouse was designed by Lafayette, Indiana architect Walter Scholer. It was constructed around the old building and completed in 1930, costing $390,000. The Italiante-style round arched entry of the old courthouse still remains in the current structure, while the rest of the building was encased in limestone and redesigned.
Item in the collection.
"Beford to Dedicate New Courthouse Armistice Day." Indianapolis Star, November 9, 1930. Accessed March 22, 2022. ProQuest.
United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service. "Bedford Courthouse Square Historic District." National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. April 26, 1995. Accessed March 22, 2022. https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/shaard/r/21931/N/Bedford_Courthouse_Square_HD_Lawrence_CO_Nom.pdf.
"Work Rushed to Dedicate New Courthouse in Bedford." Indianapolis Star, August 31, 1930. Accessed March 22, 2022. ProQuest.
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 panoramic photograph)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
- Bedford, Indiana Courthouse Square street view panoramic photograph
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description