Skip to main content

Longwood Post Office records

 Collection — Volume: V424
Identifier: V424

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the record of mails received by the postmaster of the Longwood Post Office, Ross Smiley.

Dates

  • 1837-1845

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

The first post office at this site was called Philpott’s Mills, and was established on 15 December 1832. It was named for William Philpott who was the first Postmaster of this location. The name was changed to Longwood on 24 April 1837; the first Postmaster under the new name was Philip N. Marks. Ross Smiley was the Postmaster for the period covered by this collection. The post office was discontinued in 1868, reestablished in 1872, and discontinued again on 15 March 1901. Source: Indiana State Library. “Indiana Post Offices Index.” 391- 392

Extent

0.01 Cubic Feet (1 volume)

Arrangement

This collection consists of one item.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2006/03 by Benjamin Clark. Finding aid updated 2015/10/30 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2018/06/08 by Lauren Patton
Title
Longwood Post Office records
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671