Skip to main content

Eugene, Indiana mills ledger

 Collection — Volume: V393
Identifier: V393

Scope and Contents

This collection includes a ledger used to record the Eugene, Indiana mill businesses that were owned by William Lea. Ranging from 1837 to 1845, the bulk of the entries are related to customer accounts regarding the sawmill. Other titled entries include cash accounts, bills payable, and the carding mill. The ledger begins with page 123, with the early pages having been removed some time prior to the volume's donation to the library.


  • 1837-1845

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

Vermillion County, Indiana was not created by the state legislature until January 1824, but settlers had begun to arrive in the area as early as 1816. In 1821, James Groenendyke built a water powered grist mill and sawmill on the bank of the Vermillion River and this attracted more settlers. First called Vermillion Mills, the name was changed to Eugene when the town was platted by Stephen S. Collett in 1827. Collett bought the mill property from Groenendyke in 1827 and then sold it the following year to John Coleman. The property had grown to include a dam and locks, grist mill, sawmill, carding machine with implements and buildings when Coleman sold it to William Lea in 1838. Lea, a native of Delaware, owned the mill property until 1865, but had returned to the Brandywine Valley years before he sold the property. His son Preston Lea went on to serve as the fifty-second governor of Delaware from 1905 to 1909.


"Former Governor Preston Lea is Called by Death." The Evening Journal (Wilmington, DE), December 4, 1916.

"Local Matters: Death of William Lea." The Morning Herald (Wilmington, DE), December 30, 1876.

O'Donnell, Harold L. Eugene Township (Vermillion County, Indiana): The First 100 Years, 1824-1924. Cayuga, IN: O'Donnell, 1963.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 volume)

Language of Materials



This collection consists of one ledger.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed in 1999 by Philip N. Williams. EAD finding aid created 2021/08/26 by Laura Eliason.
Eugene, Indiana mills ledger
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.