Skip to main content

Women's Organization to the Mobile Postal Service collection

 Collection
Identifier: L421

Scope and Contents

This collection includes bylaws, financial records, histories, minute books, scrapbooks, and yearbooks, from the Women's Organization to the Mobile Postal Service under various names in Indianapolis, Indiana ranging from 1910 to 1991 regarding organization and members.

Dates

  • 1910-1991

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

The organization began June 7, 1899, with the stated need to entertain the wives who accompanied their husbands to the 8th convention of the National Association of Railway Postal Clerks and dedicated to the proposition that all Railway Mail Clerks' Wives were created equal to the tasks before them.

As of 1910, daytime meetings for ladies (and sometimes children) were held monthly, with a monthly nighttime meeting for the entire family. The group supported many charitable causes and was a social network for its members. The Auxiliary was very active in supporting medical care of flu victims during the 1918-1919 epidemic. On October 25, 1920 the group received a charter from the National Association as the Indianapolis Branch of the Women's Auxiliary of the National Association of Railway Postal Clerks. In 1921, the Auxiliary became affiliated with the "Seventh District of Federated Clubs." Beginning September, 1924, a family dinner was held on meeting nights. The group was very active during World War II, providing services, boxes of gifts, cookies and knitted items for servicemen, through the Red Cross and the USO.

The group became known as the Women's Auxiliary to the Indianapolis Branch of the National Postal Transport Association (composed of clerks in mobile post offices, chiefly trains and buses) in 1950, continuing their charitable work but also supporting legislation proposed by the national Postal Transport Association. The Mobiletter was started in 1962.

The group was renamed as the Women's Organization to the Mobile Postal Service in 1965. The group was active through 1991, then voted to disband as an organization on May 4, 1991, electing to continue some social events, hopefully for 8 more years, to the 100th anniversary.

Extent

4 Cubic Feet (9 manuscript boxes, 1 cubic foot box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in the following series:

Series 1: Organizational history and financial records, 1910-1991

Series 2: Meeting minutes, 1910-1991

Series 3: Scrapbooks and yearbooks, 1932-1979

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Martha Charlotte "Jenny" (Mrs. C. Richard) Brunsma on 1991/22/07 and 2003/12/23.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing begun in 1991 by Phillip Williams, continued in 2003 and finished in 2015 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2015/05/15 by Edythe Huffman.
Title
Women's Organization to the Mobile Postal Service collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671