Skip to main content

Maurice Griffin and Company records

Identifier: V332

Scope and Contents

This collection includes 39 daybooks from the Maurice Griffin and Company of Corydon, Indiana containing entries ranging from 1897 to 1983 and a few notations from 1986 regarding the closing of the business. Additional information regarding the weather and other noteworthy events, such as the attack on Pearl Harbor and the flood of 1943, were added to the volumes along with a few newpaper clippings. The collection also includes two ledger books used for customer accounts (1898-1983), seven cash books (1903-1949), a bank deposit book (1982-1985), and two inventory books (1916-1955).


  • 1897-1986

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

Maurice Griffin and Company was a dry goods store in Corydon, Indiana. The history of the family business began in 1866 when Patrick Griffin and Thomas McGrain opened Griffin and McGrain, a general store that sold groceries and dry goods. McGrain left the business in the late 1880s and Patrick Griffin, along with his wife and children, opened the Maurice Griffin and Company in 1897. The store was named after the Griffin's oldest son, William Maurice, but the company included the entire family. In 1953, Maurice's son Frederick Porter Griffin became the proprietor of the store and continued to operate it at the same location on the courthouse square in downtown Corydon until it was closed in 1983. The books of Maurice Griffin and Company were officially closed on January 1, 1986 and the store building was sold in August of that year.


Information found within collection.

Stahl, Linda. "Closing of Store Will End 117 Years of Habit in Corydon." The Courier-Journal (Louisville, Kentucky) July 18, 1983.

The Frederick Porter Griffin Center for Local History and Genealogy. "About This Collection." Griffin Family Photos. Accessed July 27, 2021.


5 Cubic Feet (51 volumes)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Frederick Porter Griffin on 1998/12/11.


No further additions are expected.

Related Materials

Materials relating to this collection may be found in the following collections in Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN:

L535: Porter-Griffin family papers

Processing Information

Collection processing completed in 1998 by Andrea Bean Hough. EAD finding aid created 2021/07/27 by Laura Eliason.
Maurice Griffin and Company records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.