Skip to main content

Taggart's Union Station Dining Room menus

 Collection — Folder: S3226
Identifier: S3226

Scope and Contents

This collection includes four menus from Taggart's Union Station Dining Room in Indianapolis, Indiana ranging from 1888 to 1890.

Dates

  • 1888-1890

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

In 1847, major railways started connecting to Indianapolis, Indiana. As the city's population and rail-based trade grew, the city leaders wanted a new station to accommodate the growing need. In 1886, the railroads hired Pittsburgh architect Thomas Rodd to plan a new “head house,” or main office/waiting hall. The new Union Station was opened in September 1888, including a new restaurant. Thomas Taggart, who had worked in the old depot restaurant since 1877, took over the new Union Station Dining Room.

Sources:

Indy Star. "RetroIndy: Union Station." IndyStar.com, August 26, 2013. Accessed Nov. 25, 2015. http://www.indystar.com.

Extent

0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2015/11/25 by Lauren Patton. EAD finding aid created 2015/11/25 by Lauren Patton.
Title
Taggart's Union Station Dining Room menus
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671