First Presbyterian Church of Rockport transcripts
Scope and Contents
- circa 1850-1941
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The first services were held in the Rockport courthouse. By 1854, meetings were being held in the Lemmon schoolhouse near Pigeon Creek. In the same year, the Vincennes Presbytery held its spring meeting in Rockport. A church house was finally dedicated on August 15-16, 1856, by the Reverends H. Hopkins [or Hopkens] and A. Stirrit [or Sterret].
Thirteen years later, the congregation voted to dissolve its connection to the Vincennes Presbytery and request a new connection to the Louisville Presbytery—a request which was granted. Because of declining attendance, "the session" voted to close the First Presbyterian Church of Rockport for all services except the administration of communion.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
- First Presbyterian Church of Rockport transcripts
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script