Skip to main content

Miami County, Indiana collection

 Collection — Folder: S2546
Identifier: S2546

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photostatic copies of a variety of documents related to the history of Miami County, Indiana, including a January 1, 1833 letter certifying the purchase by Joseph B. Richardville, Jr. of “buildings erected for the use of the Commissioners at the late treaty held with the Miamies [sic] at the Forks of the Wabash in September 1832” and signed by Special Commissary Anthony L. Davis; receipts regarding the purchase of whisky and other items from Benbridge & Foster (June 27, 1833); a March 19, 1834 letter to James Morrison from Obediah Winters; receipts signed by Harrison (?) Barnett (December 1839); a Wabash and Erie Canal receipt from Superintendent Stearn Fisher (1847); a May 1, 1856 letter sent by Assistant Postmaster General Horatio King to Congressman William H English regarding the appointment of Coleman Henton as a route agent; an August 11, 1856 letter sent by Schuyler Colfax to William Z. Stuart; a November 28, 1856 letter from William M. French, a newspaper publisher from Jeffersonville (Ind.), to Indiana State Senator Daniel Bearss; a township map of parts of Fulton and Miami Counties (circa 1860s); an 1868 train schedule for the Union Depot in Indianapolis; a list of counting numerals in the Miami, Sha-Wa-Noese (Shawnee), and Wy-an-Dott (Wyandott) languages (1925), and a few pages from an accounting book with a list of names of Native Americans and monetary amounts associated with each name. The collection also contains typewritten copies of a short biographical sketch of Frances Slocum’s travels by Elmer Morris and a description of the Frances Slocum Trail from Wabash to Summerset (Somerset) by Hal C. Phelps (May 1925).


  • 1833-1925

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Biographical / Historical

Miami County, Indiana was organized in 1834 and named for the Miami, the Algonquian-speaking North American Indians who had settled the area more than one hundred years before Indiana became a territory. As more settlers moved to the area, several treaties forced the Miami to give up much of their land and by 1840, another treaty had been written that required them to cede the rest of their land and leave the state by 1845. Only a few Miamis were excluded from the removal, including the families of Francis Slocum and chiefs Richardville, Godfroy, and Meshingomesia. The Wabash River runs through the county and construction of the county’s section of the Wabash and Erie Canal was completed in 1837. The county is made up of fourteen townships and the city of Peru serves as the county seat. Today, the county has more than thirty-five thousand residents, but Native Americans make up less than one percent of the population.


Miami County Museum. “Miami County History.” Accessed February 8, 2019.

StatsIndiana. “Miami County, Indiana.” Profiles. Accessed February 8, 2019.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “ Miami.” Encyclopaedia Britannica. Accessed February 8, 2019.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Miami County Museum on 1930/04/14.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2019/02/11 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2019/02/11 by Laura Eliason.
Miami County, Indiana collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.