Skip to main content

Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum collection

 Collection — Folder: S2505
Identifier: S2505

Scope and Contents

This collection comprises a volume of compiled documents relating to the restoration of the lighthouse in Michigan City and establishment of a musem by the Michigan City Historical Society ranging from 1965 to 1969. The materials include copies of newspaper articles, letters from the historical society, a blank heritage bond certificate, and a pamphlet about the museum.


  • 1965-1969


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

The first government lighthouse was built at the bend of the harbor in Michigan City in 1858. Miss Harriet Colfax, who died in 1905, served as lighthouse keeper for more than 40 years. The lighthouse building was closed in 1940 and stood vacant for nearly 25 years, suffering from neglect and vandalism. It became property of the city of Michigan City in 1964 and was leased to the Michigan City Historical Society to restore and establish a museum. The Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum opened on June 9, 1973.


Items in the collection.

The Old Lighthouse Museum. "Michigan City Lighthouse History." Updated March 14, 2015. Accessed September 30, 2016.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from an unknown donor on an unknown date.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2016/08/25 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid created 2016/08/25 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2016/09/30 by Brittany Kropf.
Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.