Scope and Contents
This collection includes photostat copies of "A Minute Book for the Christian Church on Busseron Creek," a record book for the church once located in Hamilton Township, Sullivan County, Indiana. The bulk of the entries are names of members listed chronologically from 1859 to 1903 and often followed by remarks, including discharged, dismissed by letter, deceased, withdrawn, excluded, reclaimed, attached, removed, and moved away. There are a couple financial entries at the end of the record book that are dated 1854.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
The record book of the Christian Church on Busseron Creek in Sullivan County, Indiana records that the church was organized in 1831 with "300 members or more all together," but other sources give the date of 1827 as its founding. The church's first two elders were John Maxwell and Thomas Nesbit and the first two deacons were Levi Maxwell and Jackson Rich. The church was also known as the Christian Church at Palmer's Prairie, the Church of Christ of Palmer's Prairie, and Palmer's Prairie Church. The church was located about four miles southeast of Shelburn, but the church cemetery is all that remains with a stone marker that states "Former site of Palmer's Prairie Church of Christ, 1827-1978."
Information found within collection.
"All-Day Reunion at Palmer's Prairie Church." Terre Haute Tribune Star (IN), September 7, 1952. https://newspaperarchive.com.
FindaGrave.com. "Palmers Prairie Cemetery." Find a Grave Cemetery. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/179926/palmers-prairie-cemetery.
Morgan, Chloe Siner. "A Minute Book for the Chrisitan Church on Busseron Creek." Indiana Magazine of History 47, no. 1 (March 1951): 111-127.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials