Skip to main content

"The Standard Vehicle Company of Lawrenceburg, Indiana" historical sketch

 Collection — Folder: S2401
Identifier: S2401

Scope and Contents

This collection contains a copy of "The Standard Vehicle Company of Lawrenceburg, Indiana," a historical sketch written circa 1960 about the buggy manufacturer that once operated in Dearborn County. The 9-page history includes a title page with Harriet Fox's signature at the bottom, presumably the author of the sketch; a bibliography page titled "Biography"; and photographs and clippings.


  • circa 1960

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

In 1891, the James and Meyer Buggy Company began manufacturing buggies in a factory located on West High Street in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. The company was a wholesale vehicle builder for domestic and foreign customers. The company unsuccessfully tried to switch to manufacturing automobiles in the early 1900s before returning to buggies, but ended up in receivership in 1916. William P. Knapp and his son, Edwin J. Knapp, owners of the Hickory Carriage Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, purchased the personal property of the factory in January 1917. Following the loss of their factory to a fire in July 1918, the Knapps purchased the James and Meyer building in Lawrenceburg in January 1919 and reopened the buggy factory as the Standard Vehicle Company. William Knapp died in 1939 and Edwin continued to run the business until his own death on June 30, 1957. The factory lasted only a short time longer, shipping its last buggy in December 1958.


Information found within collection.

"Courthouse News: Clerks Office." Dearborn County Register (IN), January 11, 1917.

"Flames Hit Carriage Plant: Hickory Company Sustains Near Quarter Million Loss." Cincinnati Enquirer (OH), July 3, 1918.

"News Gathered at Courthouse: Real Estate Transfers." Lawrenceburg Press (IN), August 14, 1919.

"They Built Buggies in a Building on High Street." Dearborn County Register (IN), September 12, 2002.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Tom Krasean on 1974/11/27.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2022/08/17 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2022/08/17 by Laura Eliason.
"The Standard Vehicle Company of Lawrenceburg, Indiana" historical sketch
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.