Scope and Contents
This collection includes a typewritten copy of "History of the Belleville Lodge, F. and A. M., No. 65, 1848-1966," a 9-page historical sketch written by Burke Miller, secretary and historian of the lodge. The history includes a transcription of the 1847 dispensation, the lodge's initial bylaws, points of interest and various facts of the lodge, a list of the past masters, and a list of the officers in 1966.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Belleville, Indiana is located in the southern part of Hendricks County, Indiana and was laid out in 1829. Following the construction of the National Road (now U.S. 40) through the village, its population rapidly grew and it became the social and educational center of the county. Belleville Lodge No. 65, F. and A.M. (Free and Accepted Masons) was organized and received its dispensation in June 1847. The bylaws of the Western Star Lodge No. 26, Danville, Indiana were adopted by the Belleville lodge in 1848. When the construction of the Indianapolis and Terre Haute Railroad was completed in 1850, it passed more than a mile north of Belleville, resulting in the town's decline in population.
Information found within collection.
Hadley, John Vestal. History of Hendricks County, Indiana: Her People, Industries and Institutions. Indianapolis, IN: B.F. Bowen and Co., 1914.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials