Scope and Contents
This collection includes a hand drawn plat of Belleville, the section of Mount Vernon, Indiana laid out by David T. Kimball. The plat was signed by Kimball and William F. Phillips, the surveyor of Posey County, on November 1, 1849. It was presented in person by Kimball to Nathaniel J. Lord, Justice of the Peace of Essex County, Massachusetts, on December 18, 1849 to be his "voluntary act and deed," and was signed by Lord and certified by Ebenezer Shillaber, the clerk of the Court of Common Pleas. The collection also includes a hand drawn plat of a portion of Belleville that was sent to a Judge P. [Pitcher] and returned to the sender on April 14, 1870.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Mount Vernon, Posey County, Indiana, was first known as McFaddin's (or McFadden's) Bluff. In 1816, residents agreed to changed the name of the community to Mount Vernon in honor of George Washington. In 1825, the legislature authorized moving the county seat from Springfield to Mount Vernon. First incorporated in 1832, the town was incorporated a second time in 1849 and in that same year David T. Kimball laid off the part of the town that was known as Belleville.
City of Mount Vernon, Indiana. "The History of Mount Vernon." Accessed July 28, 2021. https://www.mountvernon.in.gov/category/subcategory.php?categoryid=24.
Leonard, W.P. History and Directory of Posey county [Indiana]. Evansville, Ind.: A.C. Isaacs, printer, 1882.
University of Southern Indiana. "McFadden's Bluff in Mount Vernon, Indiana." University Archives and Special Collections. Accessed July 28, 2021. http://digitalarchives.usi.edu/digital/collection/RLIC/id/26189.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials