St. James Episcopal Church History collection
Scope and Contents
The third manuscript, consisting of five pages, was entitled "Women's Work in St. James Parish" by Florence G. Watts , dated December 5, 1940. She used Amelia Langton's paper for research. Before they had a building, the ladies formed a sewing society, and were able to donate $200 toward the purchase of the lot on which the first church was built. The women held entertainments which raised money to buy an organ and provide other benefits for the church. They maintained a sewing school for girls at a mission school. In 1887, the younger women formed St. Mary's Altar Guild to raise money for altar expenses. Ms. Watts wrote, on page 4, "The women had much to do with the music of the church."
- Ghee, Sophie Amelia Langton (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Items in the collection.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
- St. James Episcopal Church History collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script