Skip to main content

Wheeler City Rescue Mission collection

 Collection — Folder: S1967
Identifier: S1967

Scope and Contents

This collection includes a commercially printed card from Wheeler City Rescue Mission in Indianapolis, Indiana regarding the Governor's Bible Class.


  • 1893-2009

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

Wheeler City Rescue Mission was founded in 1893 as the Door of Hope, offering services to friendless women and unwed mothers by The Central Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church's Meridian Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WTCU). They also offered religious services to men, women and children (mostly from the poorer strata of society). In 1895, it became known as the Rescue Mission and Home, and its purpose was to be a charitable organization serving the material and spiritual needs of poor individuals and families in Indianapolis through Christian evangelism and conversion. In 1905, it was renamed the Rescue Mission and Home of Indianapolis. William V. Wheeler, originally a volunteer and hardware salesman. was an important force in the organization, becoming part-time, then full-time superintendent, and when he died in in 1908, it was renamed in his honor.

In 1918 it merged with the City Mission to become the Wheeler City Rescue Mission. By 1921, though, the enthusiasm for revival meetings had waned and the mission's survival was in doubt. The Board of Directors moved the mission to 134 North Delaware Street and in 1923 appointed Herbert E. Eberhardt as superintendent, with the result of a return of the mission to its original focus on indigent men and families.

The organization moved into its current site, 245 North Delaware Street in 1929 and opened a Day Room in 1988. A children's summer camp was built in 1950 and, after Superintendent Hunt's death in 1978, was renamed Camp Hunt in his honor. The mission never refused aid to anyone; however, prior to about 1960, only emergency assistance was provided to African-Americans. In 1968, it was renamed and reincorporated as the Wheeler Rescue Mission, Inc.

In 1990 the name was again changed to Wheeler Mission Ministries, reflecting the mission's contemporary outreach organization. It opened a Youth and Family Center in 1994. In 2001, Wheeler Mission Ministries and the Care Center merged. In 2006, it merged with the Lighthouse Mission. In 2009, the Care Center moved to a new building and was renamed the Center for Women and Children

Alvis, Rick A. (1994). Wheeler Mission Ministries. In The Encyclopedia of Indianapolis. (p. 1424). Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. ISLI 977.201 M341Ien

"Wheeler City Mission." Retrieved 2014/07/2.

"Wheeler City Mission." Retrieved 2014/07/2.



0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2014/07/30 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2014/07/30 by Edythe Huffman.
Wheeler City Rescue Mission collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.