Skip to main content

Aldersgate United Methodist Church history

 Collection — Folder: S1870
Identifier: S1870

Scope and Contents

This collection includes photocopies of a 32 page typescript of the history of the Aldersgate United Methodist Church, "In the beginning ... The Story of How the Maywood Methodist Church and the Decatur Bethel Church United to Become Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 1827-1973" and published by Fran Wooston. The first 16 pages provide the history of the Bethel Methodist church, including biographies of charter members, lists of pastors, and cemetery records; pages 17 to 22 cover the history of Maywood Methodist Episcopal Church; and pages 23 through 32 supply information regarding the merger of the two churches to establish Aldersgate in 1962 and other information regarding the church through 1973.

Dates

  • 1973

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

The Aldersgate Methodist Church was established on April 26, 1962 following the merger of the Decatur Bethel and Maywood Methodist Churches. Bethel Chapel was founded by pioneer settler John McCreery and was the third church organizaed in Decatur Township, Marion County, Indiana. The first meeting house was erected in the 1820s and the became affiliated with the Methodist Church around 1850. Maywood's first church building was located near the corner of Tibbs Avenue and Morris Street and later moved to Maywood, Wayne Township. The newly formed Aldersgate Methodist Church held its first worship service on May 24, 1963, the 225th anniversary of John Wesley's Aldersgate experience. The congregation formally moved into its new church located at 5355 West Hanna and held its first Sunday school and morning worship service on June 9, 1963.

Extent

0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Frazier.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed in 1998 by Philip N. Williams. EAD finding aid created 2020/06/15 by Laura Eliason.
Title
Aldersgate United Methodist Church history
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671