Skip to main content

St. Paul School collection

 Collection — Folder: S1786
Identifier: S1786

Scope and Contents

This collection includes "Items Found in the Attic of the St. Paul School, St. Paul, IN," an eight page inventory of school and township records found in the school attic and recorded in July and August 1978. School records inventoried include class record books from Adams (1916-1917, 1927-1940), Chapel (1915-1917), St. Omer (1923-1925), and St. Paul (1913-1952); bus driver contracts (1920-1923); educational directories (1939-1942); high school transcripts (1919-1929); specifications for the school building (1922-1923); teacher contracts (1882-1961); a Sunshine Society guest book (1959-1963); and records of the Young People's Reading Circle (undated). Township records include advisory board records (1919-1949), ditch notices (1903), dog records and registers (1936-1949), an election book (1914-1918), minute books of township institutes (1898-1907), relief records (1915-1963), road tax lists (1864-1916), trustees financial records (1859-1952), and WPA records (1941-1942). Along with the inventory, the collection also includes "St. Paul School: A Last Blast and a Legacy," a submission by Ruth Dorrel to the Indiana Historical Bureau that was published in the November 1978 Indiana History Bulletin, and a September 5, 1979 note by the Bureau director regarding donation of this collection.


  • 1978-1979

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

The town of St. Paul, Indiana is located on the border of Decatur and Shelby counties and came into existence after the railroad was built through Decatur County in 1853. The St. Paul School was located on the Decatur side of the town and the first school building was built around 1871. The school was destroyed by fire in 1901 and a new building was constructed and opened to students the following year. The school nickname was the Blasters, named for the local limestone industry. The last high school graduating class had its commencement in 1967 and the facility continued as an elementary school until it was closed permanently on May 26, 1978.

On June 3, 1978, the local Kiwanis Club sponsored an all day "Last Blast" event at the school. Approximately 1000 school alumni came to view pictures and school memorabilia and recall memories of their school days. The pictures and other items were then put on permanent display in the St. Paul Civic Hall. A public auction was held in July 1978 to sell various school furniture and fixtures. Following the auction, a visit to the attic revealed 12 boxes of old school and township records. These records were indexed in July and August 1978 and then moved to a town board member's home for storage.


Information found within collection.

Evans, Tim. "'Last Blast' set for St. Paul School Alumni." Greensburg Daily News (Ind.), June 1, 1978.

Harding, Lewis A. History of Decatur County, Indiana : Its People, Industries and Institutions. Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen and Company, 1915.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a records transfer from the Indiana Historical Bureau in 1979.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed in 1998 by Philip N. Williams. EAD finding aid created 2020/04/07 by Laura Eliason.
St. Paul School collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.