Western Association of Writers collection
Scope and Contents
The volumes contain meeting minutes, notes about the annual banquet, correspondence, receipts, bylaws, treasurers reports, member lists, and newspaper clippings.
- Western Association of Writers (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The WAW held one meeting a year. All but one meeting took place in Indiana. From 1889 until 1904 the WAW held its annual meeting at Winona Lake near Warsaw, Indiana. The last full WAW meeting seems to have taken place in 1904, though in later years smaller WAW groups got together until at least 1908.
Notable members included: George Cottman, Ida Husted Haper, Benjamin Parker, Amos Butler, Meredith Nicholson, James Whitcomb Riley, Maurice Thompson, Will Cumback, Sarah T. Bolton, John Clark Ridpath, Booth Tarkington, and Lew Wallace.
Cottman, George S. "The Western Association of Writers." Indiana Magazine of History (September 1933): 187-197.
Weygand, James L. Winona Holiday: The Story of the Western Association of Writers. Nappanee, Indiana: Maestro Books, 1948.
0.5 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box, 1 volume)
Language of Materials
- American literature -- 19th century
- Authors and publishers
- Authors, American
- Cottman, George S. (George Streibe), 1857-1941
- Indiana -- Literature and folklore
- Nicholson, Meredith, 1866-1947
- Riley, James Whitcomb, 1849-1916
- Tarkington, Booth, 1869-1946
- Thompson, Maurice
- Wallace, Lew, 1827-1905
- Western Association of Writers
- Western Association of Writers collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description