Skip to main content

Scott County collection

 Collection — Folder: S1692
Identifier: S1692

Scope and Contents

This collection contains several biographical sketches regarding pioneers of Scott County, Indiana. Written for the Scott County Historical Society in 1923 and 1924, the histories include "Mrs. Elinor Bigwood" by Margaret Adams, "Jonathan Carter Cline" by Mrs. Florence M. Polk, "Mrs. Henrietta Day Whitsitt" by Myrtle Whitsitt," and Descendants of William Whitsitt and Biography of James Crawford Whitsitt" by Myrtle Whitsitt, Malvina Davis, and others. Other sketches written by the subject of the biography or by an unknown author include “Franklin Hardy Toombs, " William Rice,” "John T. Mitchell,” Mrs. Sarah Friedley Rice,” "Mrs. Jennie Henning Mitchell,” "Mrs. Elizabeth Hougland,” "Mrs. Samantha Pattison Hough,” and "Alexander Hough."

This collection also contains several historical sketches written from 1921 to 1923 and undated, including “Church of the Mother of God, Lexington, Indiana” by Mrs. Daisy McCormick; a transcription of “Memorandum of Books in the Scott County Library, October 23rd, 1857”; “Redistricting of Scott County into Civil Townships,” “The Doughty Mill,” “The Alpha Baptist Church,” and “History of Library Movement in Scott County” by Permelia Boyd; and “History of Albion, New Frankfort and Wooster, in Scott County, Indiana" by Newton Moffitt Wilson. The organization of the sketches in this collection was maintained.


  • 1921-1924, undated

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Historical Note

Scott County, Indiana was established in February 1820 and named for Charles Scott, a Revolutionary War general and the fourth governor of Kentucky. The county is divided into five townships: Finley, Jennings, Johnson, Lexington, and Vienna. The town of Lexington served as the county seat for fifty-four years before the seat was moved to Scottsburg in 1874. The Scott County Historical Society was organized in November 1922 and Permelia Boyd served as its first president.


"Historical Society Organized." The Chronicle (Scottsburg, IN), November 29, 1922.

State of Indiana. "My Local: Scott County." Accessed November 29, 2021.

Scott County Heritage Center and Museum. "Scott County, IN Time Line." History Pages. Accessed November 29, 2021.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2021/11/29 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2021/11/29 by Laura Eliason.
Scott County collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.