Skip to main content

Indiana School for the Blind 1893 fire collection

 Collection — Folder: S1600
Identifier: S1600

Scope and Contents

This collection includes a one-page account of the fire at the Indiana School for the Blind in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 2, 1893 and two clippings about the fire from the local newspapers.


  • 1893

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

The Indiana School for the Blind was established in 1847 by an act of the General Assembly in Indianapolis, Indiana through the efforts of William H. Churchman, who lost his sight as a child, and reform efforts in education for the blind. The school was located on the block between Meridan, Pennsylvania, North and St. Clair streets.

On August 2, 1893, the school building caught fire about 11:00 am in the attic of the building's east wing, supposedly from the fire pots of workmen repairing the roof. The fire was controlled and the cost for the repairs were estimated at less than $500. No one was injured as the students were away on summer vacation and repairs were completed in time for the start of school term in September.

In 1930, the school relocated to a 60-acre campus at 7725 North College Avenue. In 2007, the school was renamed the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired and continues to assist and educate Indiana residents who are blind or have low vision. The institution offers an on-campus residential program for K-12 students, up to age 22.


Items in the collection.

Cottman, George S. "The Founding of the State School for the Blind: A Biography of William H. Churchman." Indiana Magazine of History 10 (1914): 77-82. Accessed May 10, 2016.

Indiana School for the Blind & Visually Impaired. "About ISBVI." 2012. Accessed May 10, 2016.

Jordan B. Ryan, “Indiana School for the Blind ,” Discover Indiana, accessed May 10, 2016,


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2016/4/7 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid completed 2016/4/7 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2016/05/10 by Brittany Kropf.
Indiana School for the Blind 1893 fire collection
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.