Skip to main content

American Chemical Society, Indiana Section collection

 Collection — Folder: S1504
Identifier: S1504

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of a census of the chemists belonging to the American Chemical Society, Indiana section during 1917. The census includes a form filled out by each chemist containing name, address, date and place of birth, marital status, number of dependents, present position, training, experience and lines of work for which the individual is qualified. Of note is a census form for Eli Lilly. Included in the collection is a letter outlining a resolution adopted by the Executive Committee of the Indiana section of the American Chemical Society in 1917 when placing its services at the command of President Woodrow Wilson. The collection also includes a page of handwritten notes pertaining to chemistry.

Dates

  • 1917

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

On August 1, 1774 Joseph Priestley isolated and identified oxygen. To mark the centennial of this event, chemists met in the town of Priestley’s last home, Northumberland, Pennsylvania. Seventy-five chemists met at the Priestly Centennial Meeting on July 31, 1874 held at Northumberland Public School. Attendees of the Priestly Centennial Meeting proposed the creation of a chemical society. Initially there was disagreement about the formation of such a society, but on April 6, 1876 at the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, the American Chemical Society was created. A constitution and bylaws were drawn up and adopted at this meeting. The first regular meeting of the American Chemical Society was held May 4, 1876. Subsequent reform efforts resulted in a modification to the organizational structure of the American Chemical Society. These changes to the organizational structure allowed for the creation of a national chemical society that would be based on the concept of local sections.

Sources:

Skolnick, Herman. A Century of Chemistry: The Role of Chemists and the American Chemical Society. Washington, D. C.: American Chemical Society, 1976.

Extent

0.04 Cubic Feet (4 folders)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Irene Strieby on 1955/04/13.

Accruals

No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2005/02 by Julie A. Reid. EAD finding aid created 2015/07/28 by Brittany Kropf.
Title
American Chemical Society, Indiana Section collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671