Skip to main content

Notre Dame University collection

 Collection — Folder: S1501
Identifier: S1501

Scope and Contents

This collection includes an abstract from Julian R. Pleasants in Notre Dame, Indiana ranging from 1928 to 1965 regarding the history of germfree animal research at Lobund Laboratory, Biology Department, University of Notre Dame.

Dates

  • 1928-1965

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Administrative History

The University of Notre Dame was founded November 26, 1842, when a 28-year-old French priest, Reverend Edward Sorin, C.S.C., and seven companions, all of them members of the recently established Congregation of Holy Cross, took possession of 524 snow-covered acres that the Bishop of Vincennes had given them in the Indiana mission fields. Father Sorin named his fledgling school in honor of Our Lady, in his native tongue, "L'Université de Notre Dame du Lac" (The University of Our Lady of the Lake). On January 15, 1844, the University was thus officially chartered by the Indiana legislature.

Excerpt taken from: http://www.nd.edu/about/history/

Extent

0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a gift from Julian R. Pleasants on 1965/09/16.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2013/09/16 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2013/09/16 by Edythe Huffman.
Title
Notre Dame University collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.
317-232-3671