Scope and Contents
This collection includes minutes from Sunday/Sabbath School, prayer meeting and Epworth League at Antioch Methodist Episcopal Church in Menden, Fall Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana ranging from 1888 to 1921 regarding meeting content, attendance, amounts of collection, and related chuch business.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
The United Methodist Church shares a common history and heritage with other Methodist and Wesleyan bodies. The lives and ministries of John Wesley (1703–1791) and of his brother, Charles (1707–1788), mark the origin of their common roots. Both John and Charles were Church of England missionaries to the colony of Georgia in North America, arriving in March, 1736. Organized Methodism in the Untied States began as a lay movement. In December of 1784, the Christmas Conference of preachers was held in Baltimore at Lovely Lane Chapel to chart the future course of the movement in the U.S. Most of the American Methodist clergyman attended, possibly including two African-Americans, Harry Hosier and Richard Allen. It was at this gathering that the movement became organized as the Methodist Episcopal Church in America. Following overwhelming approvals at the General Conferences and annual conferences of the three churches--The Methodist Episcopal Church, The Methodist Protestant Church, and The Methodist Episcopal Church, South--were united in April 1939, into the Methodist Church. Methodists and the Evangelical United Brethren united in 1968 as the United Methodist Church.
Antioch Methodist Episcopal Church was organized at Menden, Fall Creek Township in Madison County, Indiana about 1831. The first meetings were held in a log building. Another building was built between 1842 and 1853, but Its unsafe condition necessitated a new church by 1868, which was located a quarter of a mile northeast of the old structure. The village experience decline in 1914, and by 1952, the meeting house and school were no longer in use.
Information found within the collection.
Forkner, John L. (ed.) History of Madison County, Indiana. (Chicago, IL: Lewis Publishing Company, 1914), 231.
The United Methodist Church. "Formation of the United Methodist Church." Accessed October 23, 2015. http://www.umc.org/who-we-are/formation-of-the-united-methodist-church.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 manuscript box)
Language of Materials