Scope and Contents
This collection contains Dr. George R. Alsop's bond for his work as treasurer of the George Rogers Clark Memorial Commission of Indiana dated March 12, 1930. Along with Dr. Alsop's signature as principal of the $200,000 bond, Frank L. Oliphant and William M. Alsop also signed as sureties. The bond was sent to Miss Martha Allerdice at the Indiana State House and was accompanied by a letter from attorney D. Frank Culbertson, also dated March 12, 1930, in which he notes that the bond will stay in effect "for so long a time as our Knox County and City Appropriation money remains unspent."
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Dr. George R. Alsop was born on December 19, 1851 in Sperryville, Virginia to William and Lavinia Alsop. He moved to Sullivan County, Indiana in June, 1869 and lived there until 1873. He attended medical school in Indianapolis for two years then completed his studies at the Louisville medical school, graduating in 1875. On April 20, 1875, he married Nancy Jane McClellan (1855-1935). He practiced medicine until 1883 and then was elected and served as the circuit clerk for Knox County, Indiana from 1884 to 1888. He helped organize the old German National Bank, later known as the American National Bank, in 1888 and served as cashier until 1911 when he was elected president. He continued as president of the bank until his death on October 2, 1933.
Ancestry.com. "George Alsop." 1860 United States Federal Census. Accessed June 27, 2017. http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/.
Ancestry.com. "George Rush Alsop." Indiana Deat Certificates, 1899-2011. Accessed June 27, 2017. http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/.
"Illness Fatal to Aged Bank President: Death Claims Geo. R. Alsop Local Banker." Vincennes Sun-Commercial (IN), October 2, 1933.
0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials