Skip to main content

Connersville, Indiana collection

 Collection — Folder: S415
Identifier: S0415

Scope and Contents

This collection includes autographed, signed letters; telegrams; advertising; and business forms from various sources in Indiana, Minnesota, and Ohio ranging from 1833 to 1935 regarding personal and business matters.


  • 1833-1935

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Biographical Note

In 1803, Connersville founder, John Conner (brother of William Conner of Conner Prairie fame), began trading for furs with the Indians in southeastern Indiana from a post above Big Cedar Creek, near Cedar Grove. After the signing of the Grouseland Treaty of 1805, which moved the Indians from Franklin County, Conner moved his trading post to the site of present day Connersville.

On March 4, 1813, he recorded a plat of Conner's Post. It contained 62 lots along the banks of the Whitewater River. Up the river from the town, he built a saw mill, taking advantage of water power to operate it. Later, he built a grist mill to grind the corn grown by area farmers.

In 1819, Connersville was named the seat of Fayette County and the town began to grow. Connersville was established as the Town of Connersville in 1841.

After the turn of the 20th century, Connersville developed into what some called "Little Detroit." Between 1905 and 1937, ten different automobiles were built in the community. The best known are treasured by antique auto enthusiasts throughout the world, the Auburn and the Cord. Now, Connersville is the common name for the community and surrounding area while the formal official name is the City of Connersville.

"Connersville, IN". Retrieved 2014/12/08. http://,_Indiana

"Connersville, IN". Retrieved 2014/12/08.

"Connersville, IN". Retrieved 2014/12/08.


0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Kate Roper on 1978/11/13.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 1998/11/17 by Phillip Williams. EAD finding aid created 2014/12/08 by Edythe Huffman.
Connersville, Indiana collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.