Richard Lieber papers
Scope and Contents
- Lieber, Richard, 1869-1944 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
He became affiliated with conservation after several trips to Yosemite National Park and the Rocky Mountains of Idaho and Montana. Working with President Theodore Roosevelt, Lieber promoted conservation efforts in the United States.
In 1916, Lieber identified the need for Indiana to have a state park system. He encouraged Governor Samuel M. Ralston to start a committee with himself as the chairman. The first two parks acquired were McCormick's Creek and Turkey Run, opening in December 1916. As the Conservation Commission Chairman until the early 1930s, he created ten state parks and five memorials in Indiana.
Lieber died in 1944 while visiting McCormick's Creek's Canyon Inn. His ashes, as well as Emma's, are buried at Turkey Run State Park.
Information found within the collection.
6.1 Cubic Feet (17 manuscript boxes, 1 small oversize box)
Series 1: Richard Lieber papers, 1896-1958, undated Series 2: Richard Lieber oversize, 1892-1900
- Adams, John T. (John Taylor), 1862-1939
- Ball, Frank Clayton, 1857-1943
- Benton, Thomas Hart, 1889-1975
- Bishop, Richard E. (Richard Edgar), 1892-1973
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- Daniels, E. H.
- Delano, Frederic Adrian, 1863-1953
- Forestry and natural resources
- Goodrich, James P. (James Putnam), 1864-1940
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923
- Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison), 1879-1954
- Hoover, Herbert Clark
- Ickes, Harold L.
- Indiana Lincoln Union
- Indiana World's Fair Commission
- Indiana. Division of State Parks
- Leslie, Harry G. (Harry Guyer), 1878-1937
- Lieber, Otto Walther
- Lindbergh, Charles A.
- McCormick, Joseph Medill, 1877-1925
- McNutt, Paul V. (Paul Vories), 1891-1955
- New, Harry S. (Harry Stewart), 1858-1937
- Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903
- Parks -- Indiana
- Rappaport, Philip
- Scherrer, Anton, 1878-1960
- Schricker, Henry F. (Henry Fredrick)
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- United States. Forest Service
- United States. National Park Service
- Vonnegut, Alex, 1888-1975
- Watson, James E. (James Eli), 1863-1948
- Richard Lieber papers
- Description rules