Skip to main content

Lake Erie, Wabash and St. Louis Railroad Company collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: S0117

Scope and Contents

The collection contains materials relating to the Lake Erie, Wabash and St. Louis Rail Road Company and the town of Huntington, Indiana efforts to get the railroad to run through its town. Included in the collection are two stock books from Huntington Indiana, a deposit notice, a 75th Anniversary copy of Time Tables, two account books, and receipts for the purchase and shipment of hogs.


  • 1851-1927


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Biographical Note

The Lake Erie, Wabash, and St Louis Railroad won incorporation in Indiana on August 31, 1852. The railroad built a 241-mile line mostly along the Wabash River in Indiana from the Ohio border to the Illinois border where it connected with the Great Western Railroad. On September 23, 1856, the railroad merged with the Toledo & Illinois to become the Toledo, Wabash, and Western Railroad Company. In 1865 the Second Toledo, Wabash, and Western Railway was formed after merging the T&W with the Great Western Railroad. During this period, the railway became highly profitable and the company upgraded its equipment and tracks even experimenting with steel tracks. The company also continued to expand acquiring the Decatur & East St. Louis Railroad in 1870 and leasing several other tracks. The Panic of 1873 however proved to be the end of the company. With falling earnings, worker strikes and increase competition the TW&W filed for bankruptcy in February 1875, and sold on June 10, 1876 laying the foundation for the formation of the Wabash Railway Company.


Information Found within Collection Grant, H. R. (2004). Follow the Flag; a History of the Wabash Railroad Company. DeKalb, Illinois: Northern Illinois University Press.


0.02 Cubic Feet (2 folders)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged by subject.

Custodial History

This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from James F. Bippus on 1928/04/20.


No further additions are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processing and finding aid completed by Sarah Pfundstein during February 2013. EAD finding aid completed by Bethany Fiechter on 2018/05/11.
Lake Erie, Wabash and St. Louis Railroad Company collection
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Repository

140 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 U.S.A.